Chapter 18 - What If

A/N- We've reached the end of the story and this update is the last part. This chapter is a bit longer than the usual ones (almost twice the length).

I can't emphasise enough on how much each read, each vote and each comment has encouraged me. Really grateful for the love, support and feedback that you all have shown. Thank you all for embarking on this journey. Hope you had as much fun reading as I had writing.

---------

"I love you too."

The words tumbled out of his mouth easily. Arnav felt as though a weight was lifted from his chest. The feelings brimming in his heart for sometime now, the words just at the tip of his tongue, always reluctant to be spoken out- had come to a culmination. Khushi had echoed what he had wanted to say for a long time. His joy knew no limits and at that moment looking at the huge smile and glistening eyes of Khushi, he realized that she too, was in the same boat as him.

Now that the words had been spoken, their feelings had been expressed and reciprocated, a different feeling had taken hold in Arnav's mind- something which had always nagged him but he had kept it in the back-burner because he never thought it could come to this day.

She was a human and he, a ghost.

The thought had always been in his mind- the day she had touched his hand, the day they kissed, the day they made love, and today, when they had confessed. How long could he keep turning a blind eye to it?

They were two entities that could never unite, not in the true sense of the word- they could never have a life together. It was improbable. No matter how happy she made him, how fulfilling her touch was, there was a huge dimensional gap between them that could never be bridged.

Arnav saw her smile falter slightly. Surely she must have thought of it too. And just like him, she had avoided it.

Why evoke the unpleasant reality when the dream is so beautiful?

---------

Khushi felt the heavy silence between them. They had been quiet for a couple of minutes, just looking at each other. Those few moments stretched like an eternity. She knew what was going on in his mind. She had been battling with this dilemma too.

There was an impending talk and she knew now was the time to have it. But she didn't want to. Not today. Not now and maybe... not ever.

She let out a small yelp as Arnav suddenly scooped her up in his arms and walked inside the house. It was a surprise, a welcome one. She didn't want to let words pull down what they were feeling and she was glad he felt the same.

He placed her on the bed, with some ferocity, making the mattress beneath her bounce. A giggle formed at her throat but before it could escape her lips, his mouth was on hers- moving against hers.

There was intensity about his actions today. The first two times they kissed, it had been gentle and soft, but today- there was a hunger, something insatiable that needed to be quenched, like a basic need driving them.

With his mouth on hers, his fingers unbuttoned her jeans and she shimmied out of them, using her hands. His mouth left hers and moved down, from her chin to her neck, to her bare and flat stomach, kissing each and every inch of her soft warm skin.

Khushi moaned and arched her back at the pleasure jolting through her body. She lay back on the bed and let the sensation take over her as their bodies became one.