Chapter 11 - Aftermath

Khushi couldn't sleep a wink after she came back from the park. Lying on the bed, she shut her eyes tightly – she had kissed him on his cheek. What made her?

Now that she thought about it, it made her blush. That had been quite an unusual act on her part. Why did she do that? Simply to say thanks or was it more than she was letting on.

The fact that he had saved her life meant a lot to her. Growing up, she hardly had anyone looking out for her, baring her absentee aunt and her aunt's husband. The fact that someone helped here, in the most unexpected way made her feel special. And it was not just anyone. It was a ghost, a spirit – one which was trapped – who broke out of his shackles – for her.

This was huge – this was the first time someone stood up for her, the first time, in so long someone took care of her.

On finding out their unusual connection, that they were tied together in some fateful way, swirled her insides. Before she knew it, she had gone ahead and done the deed.

And now she couldn't help but blush. She rolled over and pressed her face in the pillow.

It would be so embarrassing to face him in the morning. At least she was going back to work tomorrow. That way she could escape the any awkward situations.

Till when though?

Sooner or later she'd have to be in his company – after all his space of escape was limited.

She didn't know anything about him. He could be old – though he didn't sound old and hadn't he mentioned once that he was maybe a few years older than her? Or was that only in her mind?

What if he was married? He did say his last memory was of a woman calling his name. But it could have been his mother, or sister, or any relative.

Khushi stopped her train of thoughts – it didn't matter if he was old or married – what mattered was he was not alive. He was dead. He was a ghost!

Why was she feeling something for a ghost - something other than gratitude and compassion?

Sleep did come to her, later at night. In the morning, she woke up groggily to the sound of her alarm. Slipping out of the bed, she tied her hair into a messy bun and yawned. Her medical leaves were over and it was time to rejoin work.

She picked up her towel and made her way to the drawing room. Her feet came to a halt and her heartbeat increased. There was a stranger sitting on her couch!

Her eyes widened and she shrieked. Her scream, made the man's head spin around. He stood up with a start.

Without wasting a second, she picked the object nearest to her – a vase and threw it at him.

The vase went right through the man, like he was made of air, and smashed on the wall behind him.

"What the-!" Khushi muttered before realization dawned on her. "Arnav?"

The man's mouth was agape in surprise. He looked behind at the shattered vase and then at her equally flabbergasted face, "O my god!"

"I... can see... you," Khushi muttered in a soft voice. She could feel the floor beneath her feet sway. Or was she swaying?

She held the wall for support as her knees went weak. Arnav rushed immediately to her. He raised his hand to help her, but hesitated, maybe watching her pale face.

She slowly caught her breath and could feel her body return to normalcy. She made her way to the couch and sat on the edge.

Arnav stood across the center table, facing her. "Are you fine?"