Chapter 49

"How did you lose?"

"What a disappointment."

"She's just what you said she was. I don't know why I thought she'd be worth something. Do what you want with her."

The purple haired girl grit her teeth in pain. Her eyes shut, refusing to cry.

"N-no, I can still fight!"

The man known as her father kicked her in the stomach where her wound was, making the girl choke and cry out in pain. Her hand gripped her katana to try to deal with the pain.

"I don't think so. Take her away. She's useless to us."

"N-no! Sir, I can still fight!" The younger Lavinia shouted. "Give me a day to heal and I'll be up and at 'em again!"

"You failed once," her father shook his head in disappointment. "That's all we needed. Get out. And stay out."

Lavinia frowned in the Fountain, annoyed by the memory. She would never forget being outcast by her family and tribe. She was the chief's daughter, but it meant nothing because she couldn't live up to how they wanted. Her father wouldn't have a successor, but he was okay with that. He didn't need one- he thought he'd live forever.

She couldn't wait till he died- till she killed him.

She figured that being caught by this place was probably for the better anyway. Now she couldn't continue her revenge streak of trying to kill him for the rest of her life. She could... kinda rest now. She gripped the katana Kaira had given her.

Why would she do this?

Lavinia didn't know why she was alive, why Kaira had spared her, but she did know that she was going to regret that decision.

"Ehehehe..."

<><><>

"Hey, Dixie," Daisy greeted. "I've been seeing you alone a lot lately... how's Toadette?"

"Oh, she's fine," Dixie chirped. "Well... Toad's birthday is coming up, so she's been mourning."

"Oh... I see," Daisy nodded. "That makes sense."

"Yeah," Dixie smiled. "She's been... happier lately. Ever since she found out who Satsuki is... I don't think she's worried about any of us being killed anymore."

"I'm glad to hear that," Daisy grinned. "To be completely honest, I was really scared of Satsuki... it's a good thing we found out who she really was. But... I think she'll still want to kill me..."

"Really? Why?"

"When she was Satsuki..." Daisy shivered at the memory. "She said something about me having a pure heart. And she wanted it really badly..."

"Oh... that makes sense," Dixie nodded sadly. "Her past is full of trouble. She's forever a bitter person... she probably just wants to be innocent once again."

"I see," Daisy looked away. "It's so unfair that Kaira and Saiko had to go through this for their whole lives..."

"Yeah, it is," Dixie agreed. "I'm glad i didn't have to, though. Even though I'll spend the rest of my life here, at least I had some good times. Even here, I don't hate it. I like it here. Sure, it's cruel sometimes, but... to be completely honest, the fighting makes me feel good. It makes me feel strong. So now I'm just enjoying life."

"That's true..." Daisy muttered. "Yeah..."

"We're safe here from any outside threats. Ignore the fact that we have to constantly fight for our lives, once you get past that? This is the life. It's not bad at all. We can have anything we want. It protects me from the insecurity of the world out there."

"...what happened to you before here?" Daisy asked. "Before you were placed here..."

"Same as you, practically," Dixie shrugged. "I was being schooled... but I was being bullied for how I looked. I don't know if you ever dealt with that, I hope you didn't... but it was constant for me. That's why I always look like this from now on... I don't want to be judged anymore. Although they got what was coming to them, anyway."

"Wh-what?"

"Someone was looking out for me," Dixie looked up, smiling. "There was... a bad incident. They were making fun of me really badly, in front of the whole class since the teacher was using the bathroom. The next day... all of them were killed. Found dead- with no evidence of anything. Of course, it was probably Mario considering that's what got me here in the first place.. but I'm forever grateful to them. They all got what they deserved."

I guess so... Daisy thought. But did they deserve death...? I don't think so...

"I know it sounds morbid," Dixie said. "But you should've heard the things they told me. They told me someone like me would be better off dead, that I should kill myself. They probably would've done it themselves if they could... I'm glad Mario stopped them."

So she thinks they'd go that far... no one would ever...

"Dixie, I don't think they would-"

"Yes, they would..." Dixie sighed. "They would totally do it. You don't know them, they were horrible people."

"Maybe..."

"But I'm glad I'm here now," Dixie smiled.  "No one is going to judge me here... if they do, I've got company. They can judge me... and be judged for their actions by the law of justice! Death comes for those who deserve it."

Hey everyone! I hope you all are enjoying. I tried to give a little more backstory for Dixie, and I'm not going to lie, I forgot what her weapon is 0_0 whoops.

Question of the chapter: what should the sequel to Insanity be called?

Thanks for reading!