Travelling; Sass.

I start to pack my things up at the end of the day, Odette has informed me that tonight's food menu is pesto tagliatelle and I'm more than excited to try some, her cooking skills never cease to amaze me - today, she made me an egg salad sandwich for lunch and it was one of the nicest things I've ever eaten. The day seems to be really busy so far, I've been in meetings all day, Odette had a hospital appointment to review her scars, the lads and I are having a night in tonight and all of the girls are going to a club, I'll be lucky if I see Odette at all, I'm guessing that our meal will be rather rushed tonight.

Odette:
Dinner will be ready soon, hurry home and drive safe. I love you x

I read the message that flashes onto my phone's screen and subconsciously my movements become faster, I just want to get home and see her before our plans both tear us apart. "Harry." I feel a surge of whiplash as my head shoots in the direction of the voice, my heart not ready for the sudden sound that rips me from my perfect silence, just my breathing and ruffling papers. Wesley stands there with his hands loosely in his pockets, the once straight and professional looking piece of material that lay in the centre of his chest now missing and the top few buttons of his work shirt undone.

"Wesley, I was just leaving." I explain, packing the last few files and pieces of belongings into my satchel.

"Yes, I wanted to catch you before you left. Please, sit." His hand gestures to my desk chair and I wonder what the hell is going on, he doesn't look like he's in a bad mood, if anything, he just looks exhausted from tedious emails and vexatious meetings, probably what you look like most of the time, my subconscious observes and I roll my eyes internally, even though he's most definitely right.

"What can I help you with?"

"Harry, Ethan and I have been giving you more responsibilities to see how well you cope under the pressures of a more authoritative role." I take in his words and think back to what William had mentioned to me during one of our many lunch dates, remembering that he said he would have done the same thing in Miller's position, I guess he was right, as always. "You have shown us on multiple occasions that you are too advanced for your position as branch manager, and deserve a higher role. Gail called us today and handed in her notice, she has been told by the doctors not to return to work so we are now looking for a southwest area manager. We would like to promote you to the role, permanently."

My jaw drops at his words. Permanently, an area manager, that would mean travelling all over the southwest and staying in hotels most of the week, only really being home three full days. I can't do that to Odette, but it's more money Harry, you can finally settle down- no. I stop myself from thinking any further, I don't care how much money or responsibility I get, I can't just abandon Odette when she needs me the most, I could never do that, even the thought of it is like a stab to my vulnerable heart. "Have a think about it Harry, we are interviewing for the position so if you change your mind just prepare a presentation and we'll arrange an interview for you." And just like that his drifts from the room like a wandering ghost.

The opportunity will be amazing, I'll get to travel all over and meet so many new people, not even mentioning how much I would learn whilst on the job; but then I think back to my life now, going home every night and lying in bed with the woman I love, having hand made sandwiches with a love note in every day, or smelling coffee when I wake up knowing that my wife-to-be has already had her morning fill, I couldn't bear to leave any of that behind.

The drive back home is almost haunting as I think over Miller's proposition having no idea what to do about the whole situation, my chest feels heavy as if the weight of my future is resting above my heart and the closer I get to home I realise why that is, I'm nervous to see her, I'm nervous to know her reaction to the news. Should I even tell her? No Harry don't tell her, make your mind up and then tell her before you tell Miller, you need more time. I think over my subconscious' words and rub my hand across my face tiredly, I'm exhausted from the pressure of not disappointing her, Odette's happiness is all I care about, and I don't want to put my own selfish needs before her.