Chapter One

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places &incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used ficticiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business companies, events or locals is entirely coincidental.

No part of the publication and its associated content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form, or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without written permission of the author. Copyright infringement is punishable by law.

Copyright © 2011 Leah Crichton

All rights reserved.

*This story contains explict language which may offend some readers. Please read at your own discretion*

Chapter One

Sawyer did an unceremonious face-plant onto the hood of the cop car as he assumed the position. "Easy five-oh, you're gonna mess up my face!"

                The cop dug his elbows further into Sawyer's back, "so now you're a pretty boy worried about your face? Not so tough anymore, are you?"

                Sawyer rolled his eyes and wondered how tough RoboCop would be if his hands were cuffed behind his back and he was getting up close and personal with the smell of warm engine.

                Chaos erupted around them like a volcano. Devin sat with paramedics who tried in vain to treat her. She was being a real pain in the ass, bawling her eyes out. When she wasn't crying she was yelling.  Charlie was by her side attempting to calm her down. She was having about as much luck as the paramedics. Seabass, Robbie and Lane were giving RoboCop's partner witness statements.               

                Sawyer closed his eyes and wished he could get a good look at the guy he'd roughed up but the ambulance door kept him hidden from view. 

                "Please," Devin pleaded. "Let him go."

                "Shhh," Charlie scolded. "Shut up or you might be joining Sawyer in the back of that car."

                Devin ignored her sister completely, "please officer! That man sent me flying down the stairs. Sawyer didn't do anything wrong!" 

                The upset in her voice made him cringe. It was a long shot, but he had to try. "Can I talk to her?" he asked the cop.

                "I don't think so, son."

                "Please," he tried playing nice, "she's just a kid. If that damned paparazzo hadn't gotten so close, none of this would have happened and she'd be at a movie right now like a million other kids her age. Please."

                The cop pulled the back of Sawyer's shirt, allowing him to stand. Imagine that, he was less Robo and more Cop. "You have five minutes," he said.

                Every word he spoke was pushing his luck to the extreme but that was what Sawyer did best. "Wait! Think I can lose the bracelets?" He shrugged his shoulders up.

                "You want me to undo the cuffs?"

                "It'd sure be nice," Sawyer said.

                "You've got to be kidding me. Are you on drugs, son?"

                "Look Sir." Calling the guy 'sir' made his stomach turn in revulsion. He'd never been one for authority figures, least of all cops. But it was for Devin. "You can walk behind me with your gun stuck in my back. She's just a kid and she's scared. Seeing me handcuffed is freakin' her out."