Wishes

I rolled over moaning, pulling the warm covers up under my chin, and scrunching my eyes attempting to block out the sunlight coming through the windows.  I knew I would only have a few more minutes until Harry’s alarm clock went off and he would have to leave for work.  Today was my birthday and Harry had had his mind made up on staying home and pampering me, but last night I insisted that I just wanted something simple. I didn't really like to have attention drawn to myself so the simpler the day the better. I untangled my arm from underneath the blankets and stretched it over to the opposite side of the bed.  I cracked my eyes open and groaned, displeased when my hand hit a pile of tangled sheets.  I was hoping to find my warm, snugly husband so we could have a few moments before he left for the day.  I retracted my arm and slowly pushed myself into a sitting position, stretching my arms above my head.  I ran a hand through my disheveled hair and then looked over to the empty side of the bed.  It looked like he hadn't gotten up too long ago because the bed was still indented from him.  As my eyes focused and I could see better I realized there was a page, looking like it was ripped from his journal, lying on his pillow.  I leaned over and snatched it recognizing Harry’s handwriting.

Good morning my beautiful birthday girl! I hope you slept well.  Looking at you this morning I was reminded of the day I met you, the way you smiled at me as a stranger. Your incomparable beauty had me falling at your feet. Time has passed since we have become husband and wife. I still feel the same butterflies in my stomach that I felt when I first met you. The years have gone by but your beauty still mesmerizes me, your voice still comforts me, your eyes make me smile, and your sensuality gives me goose bumps. You've changed my world from the day you entered into my life. The change is not simple and subtle, it’s a change that brought color to my life and gave it meaning. Words cannot describe how much you mean and how important you are to me.  Even when I am away from you from morning till night, my thoughts are with you.  I have become absolutely addicted to you. Your smile, your eyes, your selfless heart, and your undying love for me which I will forever return. The safest place for you will always be in my heart, and I know the feeling is mutual. Even when we get kids and grow older through days, my love for you will never find its way to grow older or diminish.  We will build memories that will never be taken away from us no matter how many grey hairs we grow or how many wrinkles we acquire through the years. I have always wanted to grow old with a woman who is not only my wife but also a best friend.  Someone whom I can tease, explore new things with, and share the deepest thoughts and expressions of my heart. This is the day you came into this world and became destined to be my beautiful wife. Wishing you as many wishes as you want, as much as joy as you can stand and more love than you ever imagined on your special day.

Forever yours,

Harry

I was lucky he had written in pen, because if not the letter would be completely illegible by now.  I wiped away the fresh tears that were escaping and realized my cheeks were sore from smiling.  He never ceases to surprise me with the little things he says and does to make me fall in love with him all over again. I wiped away the remainder of my tears and carefully tucked the note into the drawer in the beside table and walked into the bathroom. I fixed my hair and splashed cold water on my face trying to disguise the fact that I had been crying. I had slept in only my underwear so I threw on Harry’s over sized grey sweatshirt which came down to the middle of my thighs. It was the one he had worn yesterday so it still smelled of him and his cologne. I brushed my teeth and went downstairs where I could hear commotion coming from the kitchen.  As I got closer I could smell the comforting aroma of coffee along with the smell of bacon and waffles. I walked into the kitchen and saw Harry standing at the counter cutting fresh strawberries.  He was still in pajamas which consisted of a worn band t-shirt and navy sweats, which were sprinkled with flour.  I stood watching his handsome concentrated face, wondering how I got so lucky.  He put the strainer of strawberries under the running water in the sink, then looked up to where I was standing.  His breathtaking smile immediately lit up his face as he made his way over to me.