↬eighteen.

She wasn't going to learn to be happy with herself overnight, but every day was a step forward.

He visited her more often, coming earlier than usual. He always reminded her how much she meant to him, and how much he was devoted to her.

She did feel better, stronger, since the day she told him the truth. Of course, there were days that she would wake up gasping for air because of the flood of memories.

Then, she would drive to the drugstore, and find him sitting on the curb. His presence was enough to make her know that she was going to be okay. She was going to overcome all of the hate in her life, and love herself.

"Hey, little mermaid."

"Hi, little prince, " she teased him; he gave her a cheeky grin.

"You look good, " he said, nodding. "Have you been getting more sleep?"

She smiled. "I've been getting nine hours every night this week."

"That's amazing. I'm happy for you."

  "I'm happy for myself, " she said, feeling the depth of her words as they left her lips.

  These weeks in which he took care of her, and taught her how to take care of herself, he noticed how brighter she was. She glowed, as if it were sunny every day.

  He took her to the art gallery a couple of times, and even introduced her to an artist. Afterwards, they'd take a walk around the city. He would hold her hand, pecking her cheek once in a while.

  She was grateful for how understanding he was. She knew she had feelings for him, but she wanted to heal first.

  "I want to become a better person, and run into your arms because I want you. Not because I need you to fix me. I need to fix myself, " she had told him; he was completely supportive and encouraging.

  Now, everyday she felt the pieces of her heart repair.

  And every renewed piece called to him.

  She knew the alley guy owned her heart, even when she forgot she had one. Little did she know that she was his everything, and he would wait a million years for her.

A/N: ah, yes, another update. This chapter is more of a build up to the next one, which I'm sure all of you will love!

  I believe, if nothing else comes to mind, that chapter twenty will be the last chapter before the epilogue. Paintbrush, after the following chapter, will have reached its end goal.

  Comment your predictions about next chapter, and please vote! Thanks for reading!