002 ─── goodbye .

lethal
002 ─── goodbye .

" if this is the last time

" if this is the last time ... "

rowan's view

"𝔎atniss Everdeen."

I couldn't breathe. The name rung through my ears as if it were mine, and it might've as well been mine. It echoed over and over and over, Effie Trinket's shrill and whistley voice screwing itself into my brain to the point where I was winded. The cold and crisp air inhaled and exhaled through my lungs, burning harshly, even more than it did before. I felt as if I was the definition of shock; my hands were shaking as I realized that this was real. I accepted it, my entire life was accepting it, but now that it happened, all I could think about was how in a few weeks, I could be dead. I would have to leave my sisters behind.

I saw Katniss stiffen a couple rows ahead of me, and I watched the girls around her spread out, already leaving her on her own. I didn't even know where Prim was. But I was frozen, in a constant rotation, watching as Katniss took a few steps forward. Looking back on it now, it's obvious to me that I was struck with sudden vertigo, dizziness overtaking me. I knew I was going to volunteer, there wasn't a question in my mind, but the shock froze me, circling around me over and over again.

By the time I moved, Katniss was already in the pathway that led up to the stone stage, surrounded by Peacekeepers in white uniforms. She seemed to be walking surprisingly steadily, for someone who was walking to their death. I pushed past the people in front of me, my fellow teenage girls staring at me incredulously. I pushed through to the clearing, my flats crunching on the stone path as soon as I walked onto it.

"I volunteer!" I screamed out, my voice carrying across the flatland of District 12. Peacekeepers immediately surrounded me, about to grab me when I screamed out again: "I volunteer as tribute!"

I could feel a million eyes on me, the fact that I was on camera making it worse. But all I could do was keep me head up and my lips pursed. The wind was hitting my face, making my eyes water and my brown hair fly around crazily, but I managed to keep my eyes open despite the stinging as Effie called out, "I believe we have a volunteer!"

Surprise was laced in her tone, surprise that everyone could hear as I pushed past the Peacekeepers, running towards Katniss. I barely had time to wrap my arms around my younger sister when a scream ripped across the valley, a heartbreaking cry.

My head snapped up, my eyes landing on Prim. Her eyes were red and tears was pouring down her cheeks, cries falling from her lips as she pushed past the girls around her. I could already see Gale heading towards her, barreling through the crowd like a truck.

Peacekeepers started swarming us once again as soon as Prim reached out to us, her small hand grasping mine. "Prim, you have to go," I said, bending down and looking into her eyes while my other hand was still attached to Katniss'.