009 ─── celestial .

lethal
009 ─── celestial .

" nothing is meant to be "

rowan's view

𝔗he cheers echoed in my ears long after I exited the stage, ringing through my head. I tried to shake them off, but I couldn't, especially not with all of the adrenaline still running through my veins. As soon as I knew the audience couldn't see me anymore, I allowed myself to reach out blindly, searching for something to lean against as I collapsed against myself.

Caesar's question kept resonating through my mind, over and over.

"And what did you say to them? In the end?"

As if I'd never see them again. As if the last words I spoke to my family would truly be my last words to them, and they'd be forced to watch me ripped apart in some undoubtedly gory way on live television, in front of the entire nation.

I breathed in heavily, reaching my free hand up and winding it through my delicately pinned hair. I didn't care if it got tangled and twisted, I just dug my nails into my scalp, as if the pain would calm me down. Breathe in, breathe out.

"And what did you say to them? In the end?"

"Why?" was all Katniss asked, her voice cracking. "Because you're my family," I answered simply, "and I protect my family."

I wasn't lying to my sister. I protect my family, it's my responsibility. I would do anything for the both of them, and if I was going to die saving Katniss, then I would die proud.

I controlled my breathing, looking down and dropping my hands to my sides. I supported myself on the wall, squeezing my eyes shut. I could feel my hands shaking furiously, my nails painted deep red digging into my palms.

"You did it," I heard Haymitch's deep voice reach my ears just before an arm wrapped around my shoulder, shifting me so I was supported by him instead of the wall. I looked up under my eyelashes, my breath unsteady as my gaze met Haymitch.

Haymitch supported me as we walked back to the call room, my breathing slowly becoming more steady as I shook off the aftereffects of the interview. I looked up to see Effie waiting for us, a small and supportive smile on her face that genuinely shocked me; it was the first time I had seen her not smiling absent-mindedly.

"You did great, darling," Effie said, reaching over to my and patting my shoulder, the silk of her glove sweeping against my bare collarbone. I would never truly get used to the luxury of the Capitol.

"Thank you, Effie," I breathed after Haymitch carefully stepped away, and I gathered myself enough to stay standing. This was truly the first time I had ever felt as light-headed as I did.