005 ─── shoot to kill .

lethal
005 ─── shoot to kill .

" i've never been good at keeping my head down "

rowan's view

𝔗here's a difference between killing for sport and killing for survival.

Killing for survival was something I had done my whole life. I killed to feed my family, and I stayed alive because of it.

The Capitolians wanted me to kill for sport. Kill so that they might be entertained briefly, until next year, when they will drag 24 new children in and tell them to kill for sport, same as they're doing to me.

Cinna gave Peeta and I matching training uniforms, uniforms I assumed the other tributes were given as well. It was made of material that clung to me like a second skin, engineered for physical activity. Black pants with zippered pockets on either side, lace-up boots that reached mid-calf, and a t-shirt that revealed how thin I had become after years of giving most of my food to my sisters.

The training centre was huge; a large, grey room with every weapon you could imagine hanging from every wall. But it seemed small, because everyone in the centre was gathered in a corner, watching a dark-skinned woman with intent eyes.

Peeta and I walked towards the group, my stomach churning with nerves when I realized that we were late. But no one seemed to notice as we joined them.

"In two weeks, twenty three of you will be dead."

I clenched my jaw, glancing over at Peeta, who seemed just as uneasy as I was. "One of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention over the next four days," the woman continued. I narrowed my eyes on her silver name tag, with her name in black lettering. Atala.

Atala's words faded in the background, my spine straightening when a prickling sensation tingled on the back of my neck. I tilted my head to the side, my eyes searching for what had set me on edge.

My breath stilled when I realized that someone was watching me, and it wasn't just anyone. It was the tribute from 2. Hadley. He was watching me again, a smug smirk on his lips as his chilling eyes scanned me. I pressed my lips in a thin line before turning back around to watch Atala, dismissing Hadley the best I could.

"First," Atala started, her voice full of authority, "no fighting with the other tributes. You'll have plenty of time for that in the arena." My upper lip curled as she said that.

"There are four compulsory exercises, the rest will be individual training. My advice is, don't ignore the survival skills. Everybody wants to go grab a sword, but most of you will die from natural causes. Ten percent from infection, twenty percent from dehydration; exposure can kill as easily as a knife."