019 ─── twain .

lethal
019 ─── twain .

" steel forges the strong "

rowan's view

warning : sensitive content

𝔅look fell in a steady stream from the wound, down my palm, dripping off my fingers and landing in circular dots on the ground below. It stained the viridescent grass with a bright scarlet, creating a pool in between the blades. The sign of both life and death beaded along the lines on my flesh, dripping down in separate veins that stained my skin red.

Blye was still asleep, her auburn eyebrows pulled together over her forehead and her lips pursed, as if she was solving a complicated math equation as she slept. The stars still shone bright in the sky, illuminating my work like a tragic painting. Boredom had transcended into something much more dangerous, something I would have to destroy before Blye woke and saw.

The water stung the intricately drawn lines, washing down my arm and mixing the dark red into a pink shade that destroyed the small pool amongst the grass below. I held the nearly empty water bottle over my arm, the knife laying a simple few feet away. The steel was tainted with the same blood that stained my skin and the bright grass.

There were still traces of the stains by the time the water was empty, and the lines began to bead as soon as I ran out, but I covered my forearm with my sleeve. I winced at the sting, praying that the wound wouldn't become infected before swearing at myself for being so stupid. My reckless depression could kill her if me let it, and then what would Peeta's death be worth?

I rubbed my forearm before glancing back down to Blye. My shift had ended a few hours ago, yet Blye still rested against the trunk of a tree, sound asleep. She was certainly lucky that I couldn't sleep even if I tried.

Still, she was ripped out of her peaceful sleep when a booming voice once again filled the arena, echoing around the forest.

"Attention, tributes, attention. Commencing at sunrise, there will be a feast at the Cornucopia. This will be no ordinary occasion. Each of you need something, and we plan to be generous hosts."

I glanced down and over to Blye, who rested in the same position, but her bright blue eyes were wide open. She stared deep into the forest, the wheels in her head turning as she digested what they had said.

I looked back up to the sky, watching as the deep blackness of the sky faded before my eyes, the ebony turning into a deep blue and the stars darkening. Sunrise would be soon; the Gamemakers would rush the bloodbath as much as they could.

"It's going to be messy," I muttered, biting my lower lip as I turned back towards Blye, who was pushing herself upright so she could sit against the tree. "And there's nothing we really need."