Chapter Seven

April 18, 2018

Jonah ordered his cup of coffee, shot a quick smile at the cashier, and moved to sit down at the table that Corbyn was already at. They were traveling to Columbus, Ohio, and had stopped on the way to get breakfast.

He pulled his phone out of his pocket and placed it on the table, only to pick it up again. As of the night before, he had gone six days with no response from the girl he had messaged. He honestly didn't know what he was expecting to happen.

He almost didn't check his inbox, chastising himself for wanting an answer from a girl that he didn't even know so badly. He checked despite himself.

And there it was.

Eliska McNeel
Well, hello. It's not every day I get a message from a celebrityby the way, I'm not ignoring you. I'm just, in your words, an avid reader and have a habit of failing to check my phone for days at a time.

He found himself grinning about the implied fact that she enjoyed being away from her phone... just like himself.

Over two hundred miles away, she had arrived home from the airport, her mother and younger brother ready to greet her and her dad.

"Ellie!" Zane exclaimed as he rushed to the front door.

"Hey, buddy," she said lightly as she let her bags down to the floor. She knelt, holding the six year old close when he ran into her arms.

Her dad then scooped down and held him up in the air, the young boy squealing. Her mom had turned away from her husband, smiling when she saw her.

"Hello, sweetheart," she said, pulling her into a hug.

"Hi, momma."

Only later on, after awhile of catching up with her mom, did she return to her own room.

She had turned on her Instagram notifications solely for the purpose of answering Jonah and was settling in the seat next to her window when she read what he had previously sent.

Jonah Marais
Don't worry about it. Being honest, I was a little hesitant about messaging you because I don't want to make things weird for you.

Her response made him smile.

Eliska McNeel
I just happen to be weird myself. Don't worry. I can handle it.

Jonah Marais
Noted.
Also... I'm sorry for calling you basic, back when we met.

Less than a minute passed.

Eliska McNeel
No you're not. Think about it: if you hadn't, we wouldn't be talking right now.