Chapter Twenty-Three

May 20, 2019

Days passed.

Eliska's life melted into an array of busyness leading up to the end of her senior year. She continued to travel with her dad and read stacks upon stacks of books. When she was home, she worked her job with a sort of enthusiasm the owner hadn't seen in many others her age. She had a sort of joy about her, one that she not only took to the workplace, but also home. 

She felt little Zane was growing up in front of her very eyes. He kept surprising her with the comments he would make and the questions he would ask, more aware of the world and others around him than would be expected of a seven year old. She made a point to be present in his young life.

Despite everything that she was involved in and focusing on, she missed Jonah.

A large part of her recent life, she felt, had been developed by him, after all. He loved her when she didn't believe she had any reason to be loved and treasured her as if she was the most beautiful person he had ever met. He left an imprint on her life, and though the breakup was difficult, she didn't mind thinking about the past she had with him.

And days passed.

Jonah and the boys went on their tour. They visited new venues and arenas and returned to old ones, the tour bus taking them all over the country. He reveled in new experiences with his best friends, meeting more people and receiving more love and support than ever.

The fans had never screamed louder, never blown him away as much as they did when they sang along to all of the words to all of the songs during every show. It was a lot to take in, and he was never devoid of appreciation and gratefulness.

Eliska was rarely far from his mind. He missed her and everything about her—the snort that would break through her laughter every once in a while, her tendency to ramble about the book she was reading, her selflessness and concern for others around her. He thought fondly of all of the conversations they'd had during the months of their relationship, all of the serious talks along with those when they couldn't speak because they were laughing so hard. 

He didn't know exactly where she was, or what she was doing on any given day, but he hoped she was doing well.

***

Jonah was leaning back in his chair, eyes beginning to drift shut due to a succession of late nights and lack of sleep. He and the boys were waiting to be interviewed before their show later that night. No one else was in the room, though he could hear his friend's voices in the hallways, yelling and singing loudly.

His eyes shot open when his phone started ringing. Sitting up, he stretched lightly as he pulled it off the table next to him. His eyebrows furrowed together at the contact name displayed on the screen.

Eliska.

He stared with a moment's hesitation. It had been three months since he had heard her voice, three months since he had spoken a word to her. He had no idea what she would to talk about, but he composed himself and answered the call.

"Eliska?"

"Jonah," she said, "Hi."

"Hey. Hey, it's... been a while. How have you been?" He shut his eyes, hating that he asked that, but he didn't know what else to say and his mind had reached for the first polite question he could think of.

"Good. And you?"

"I've been great."

"And I'm guessing the same goes for the boys."