Chapter Sixteen

September 17, 2018

The venue was buzzing with excitement.

Eliska could feel her heartbeat in her throat. She looked around at the crowded general admissions area—the only ticket she could manage to purchase. The boys were so popular at that point that it was difficult to get anything else.

She still couldn't get it through her head. Her thought process was blocked by unfiltered elation; she was finally going to see Jonah again, in person, after a month and a half. They had planned in advance to meet after the show ended, both making it very clear that they couldn't wait. Her stomach flipped over itself every time she thought about their reunion.

Suddenly, the venue was blanketed in darkness, and the roar of the fans' screams around her made the hair on the back of her neck stand up. She shivered, overwhelmed with emotion and anxiousness.

The boom of the speakers filled her chest and rattled her mind until she felt she couldn't breathe. The crowd was chanting, the apprehension in the air was palpable. Then, in an array of bright, spinning lights, the boys were on stage.

And there he was. Far away, but still in front of her, singing his heart out to his fans, but most of all, to her.

She was moved to tears in the passion of the moment, hundreds upon hundreds of people singing the words around her, beams of light moving over the audience, and the boy she was in love with moving around on stage as if it was what he had been born to do.

***

Eliska moved a pebble under her shoe around on the concrete sidewalk, phone in hand.

The show had ended over an hour and a half before, and she was still waiting for Jonah to call her to set up where they would meet.

Minutes continued to pass.

The venue was two hours from her house, and she needed to get back soon since she and her dad were headed out for one of his business trips the following morning.

Her ringtone pierced through the silence of the night.

"El, I'm so sorry," Jonah said immediately when she picked up. He sounded distraught. She panicked but managed to keep her voice somewhat calm.

"What happened? Where are you?"

"The fans—there were so many people around the bus that—I thought since it was parked way in the back out of the way that no one would be around it, but there were so many people and the managers told us—they said we had to leave right away."

Her heart sunk as she caught on. They wouldn't be seeing each other tonight.

She took a moment to compose herself before responding.

"Jo... it's okay—"

"No, it's not. I wanted... I needed to see you."

"I know," she said quietly, because she didn't know what else to say. There was silence for a while.

"I'm so sorry," he said again.

"It wasn't your fault, Jo. It wasn't anyone's fault, it just... didn't work out."

Again, silence.

"Hey," she said firmly, trying to be encouraging. "We'll figure this out, okay?"

"Okay," he answered. His voice was softer than usual, but his tone revealed that he believed her.

She messed with her sleeves; the September weather was getting chillier.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you too, El."

She knew the call was coming to a close. He was undoubtedly exhausted from the show and needed to sleep before the next day.

"Be careful driving home, please," he said softly, "and call if you need anything."

She shook her head at his care and concern for her, willing to sacrifice his much-needed rest for her sake.

"I will. Bye, Jo." And she hung up.

She took in the dark, still street around her, discouraged by the failed anchor of her hope: being with him. All she wanted was to hug him, just touch him. But he was already gone.

For the first time since she met him, she felt empty.