Chapter Fifteen

September 6, 2018

Eliska's attention was pulled away from the conversation over dinner when the phone under her leg started vibrating. She discreetly pulled it out to see Jonah's name displayed on the screen. She glanced across the table to find her mom watching her with understanding eyes. She nodded towards her daughter, excusing her, because she knew.

Tour had started about two weeks before, on August 24, and Jonah and Eliska's time together had become limited. They were more often than not in different timezones, not to mention that they both disliked texting and would rather talk over the phone.

"Jo?" she answered as she stepped out on the back porch, pulling the sliding door closed behind her.

"El, hi. I'm so sorry we couldn't talk yesterday; we had an interview in the morning and then—"

"Jo, I know, and you don't have to apologize. It's your career, and I understand."

"Okay, good," he said.

"Well, how are you?" she asked, leaning against the railing of the deck.

"El, come on. I don't want to talk about me."

"I want to talk about you."

He scoffed and changed the subject anyway.

"How did that paper end up? The one you were nervous about?"

"More like freaked out about. Had an absolute breakdown." He laughed a little.

"Seriously, how'd it go?"

It flattered her that he cared enough to ask. It was her senior year of high school and it was already a challenge compared to junior year. More online classes, more papers, more studying.

"It turned out alright. I stayed up all night to finish it and turn it in, but I have a bad habit of staying up all night anyway."

"I know, and it's not—"

He was cut off by someone yelling his name on the other end of the line.

"What?" Jonah called, away from the phone. He returned a few moments later.

"I'm sorry, El, I've got to go. Sound check for the show tonight."

"Don't worry about it. It's alright."

"I'll try to, uh, catch you later on, okay?"

"Okay. I'm serious, Jo, don't stress."

"Alright, alright, I won't—"

"Jonah, you're up!" the voice called again, cutting him off.

"Okay!—Sorry, El, I've got to go."

"Stop worrying!" she scolded. "Bye, Jo."

"Bye."

He ended the call, but she didn't go inside. She just stood where she was, surrounded by the darkening sky and warm air.

A memory floated to the forefront of her mind, of leaning against that very railing with Jonah, of him confessing his feelings for her and of her doing the same. Simply stated, she missed that time, being with him, right next to him.

She sighed before turning on her heel and returning to her family.