Store Bought Pizza

I waited three days and didn't hear a thing from Modest Management or from Harry himself. Elenore spent every hour of those three days (when she wasn't working) trying to force me to contact them again and demand a response, but I'd gotten so tired of the whole thing that I almost wanted to forget about it. They clearly had.

We were spending our Saturday evening on the sofa with store-bought pizza and buy-one-get-one-half-price ciders while watching the X Factor. I shouldn't have really been watching it considering it was associated with Harry, but Elenore had insisted as she'd bought the food and drink. Nola was sound asleep in her cot which had been newly decorated with pink plasters.

"And now for our performance tonight, the boys who reached stardom right here on this very stage, it's the one and only – One Direction!" Dermot O'Leary ran off the stage as the band appeared behind him, all grinning just as they had been when I'd last seen the on television.

"Did you know they were performing on here tonight, Ele?" I frowned, glaring at my best friend, but she was too busy gawking at the screen.

"I figured it out, I figured it out from black and white, seconds and hours, maybe they had to take some time...."

"The bastards!" Elenore suddenly shouted, waving her pizza around as if it were a battle flag. She got up from the sofa and charged at the screen, pointing a tomato stained finger at Harry's face. "THAT doesn't look like a lad who has just been told he's a father! Am I right?"

I took a swig from my bottle and cocked my head to one side. I'd always found Harry to appear very serious and somewhat troubled when he performed live. His eyebrows were often pushed firmly together, only separated by the deep groove of a frown line, but tonight his eyes twinkled and the light bounced off his teeth.

 "Perhaps he's happy about it?" I suggested, shrugging at Ele who was still pointing at his face and waiting for an answer. When she pulled away there was a smear of red across the screen.

"You and I, we don't wanna be like them, we can make it 'til the end, nothing can come between you and I..."

"Pah!" She snorted. "More like they haven't told him yet! Those toffs, who do they think they are?" She crammed the crust of the pizza into her mouth and remained silent until she'd swallowed, her eyes burning. "I mean, he has more of a right to know than they do. It's complete bullshit, Marn!"

"I figured it out, saw the mistakes of up and down, meet in the middle..."

"I am aware, thanks," I laughed, taking another swig. I watched as Harry sang the chorus of 'You and I', still looking delighted with himself. "Perhaps they haven't taken his sample yet?"

"...never together, 'cause they see things in a different light, like us, but they never tried like us..."

Ele strode over to the coffee table and retrieved another slice of pizza. "Of course they've got the sample," she rolled her eyes. "Their tour starts like next week. Aren't they supposed to get fit etc?"  

"...we don't wanna be like them, we can make it 'til the end, nothing can come between, you and I..."

"I have no idea." I sighed. "By the time they've told him he'll probably be half way across the country."

"...could separate the two of us..."

"Actually I think this tour spreads into Europe." Ele bit her lip and smiled at me innocently.

"Well that's just fabulous. Why am I wasting my time?" I slammed my bottle on the table and groaned loudly.

"Enough of that!" Elenore thrust the bottle in my hand again. "It's not your fault his management team are a bunch of wankers. Just wait until he starts playing daddy, then you sweet talk him into dropping them, or better still, get Nola to do it."