Bandana

It was the big day, just not in the way for most women where they are being laced into a white gown and handed a bouquet. Today my daughter was finally going to meet her father. The man who I'd tried to keep her from for two years. The man who was famous across the globe and had captured the hearts of many young women. The man who was Harry Styles. 

"It will be fine!" Elenore cried whilst pulling on her coat at the front door. "Just let Nola do her thing."

"Oh my God, Ele. What am I doing? What was I thinking?" I paced the lounge frantically, flapping my arms around like a mad woman. I was having what could only be described as 'cold feet' or 'pre-match nerves'. Of course I was thrilled that Harry and Nola would finally come face to face, but I was horribly aware of the fact that Harry and I were also going to be doing the same and that had only previously happened whilst under the influence of a huge quantity of alcohol. I had no dutch courage this time. 

"For heaven's sake, woman - breathe!" Ele flew forward and placed her hands on the tops of my shoulders. "You have nothing to worry about."

"I have plenty to worry about!" I squealed. "Harry freakin' Styles is coming to our flat in half an hour and I am covered in weetabix." The two of us looked down at my crusted shirt. 

"Yeah, I would suggest changing before that half an hour is up." Elenore bit her lip. "And maybe brush your teeth." I blushed crimson and covered my mouth with my hand. When looking after a small child was your number one priority, the concept of looking after yourself flew out the window. Not to mention the fact that I didn't have a boyfriend and therefore there was nobody around that I needed to impress. Elenore had seen me at both my best and worst and never batted an eyelid. I was too comfortable in my current situation to even recognise when making an effort genuinely mattered. 

"At least you lost the baby fat." She added, throwing in a smile and a poke of my stomach for good measure. "We wouldn't want him thinking you'd let yourself go now, would we?" I mashed my eyebrows together into a frown and glared at her.

"Please go to work, you're annoying me now rather than making me feel better. So much for being a supportive best friend, Elenore." 

"I really don't like it when you call me Elenore." She sighed.

"Well I really don't like it when you point out my bad breath." I retorted, trying to speak on an in-breath. We stared at one another for a moment for breaking out into smiles. She pulled me into a tight hug.

"You will be fabulous because your are fabulous! Now go brush your teeth and I'll see you tonight." After a quick peck on the cheek she darted for the front door and vanished. 

"Oh shit." I said out loud. "This is happening. It's really bloody happening." I glanced over at the clock. "IN TWENTY MINUTES." 

Careful not to fall over my blissfully unaware daughter, I shot towards the bedroom and yanked my t-shirt over my head, grabbing another from my pile of clean washing. At least that was the weetabix situation resolved. Phase two led me to the bathroom where I scrubbed at my teeth so harshly that my gums began to bleed. Attractive. A quick glance in the mirror confirmed that my appearance was just about acceptable for a visit from Harry Styles. Not that I was the one he was visiting. 

Nola was - of course - effortlessly gorgeous as always. I had explained to her that there was an extra special person coming to visit her today. I wasn't quite sure how to go about explaining to her that she did in fact have another parent. Part of me was concerned that I had left it far too long for her to form a father/daughter attachment to Harry, or if his hectic schedule would even allow it. She was dressed to impress in her slim jeans and Peppa Pig t-shirt.