Surprise!

The European leg of the tour had ended last night with the boys touching down in London in the early hours of the morning. My contact with Harry had been minimal since the incident with the brick, although he continuously assured me that he was working on a solution to the problem. I knew it was probably unfair of me to put the responsibility on him, but at the time I had been so mad and upset that he'd seemed like the only person who could possibly do anything about it. I was yet to find out how he planned to go about that though. 

Elenore had thankfully been released from hospital the next day with five stitches in the side of her head and a high dosage of pain killers. I'd felt so guilty that she'd been injured as a result of my messed up situation with Harry, but somehow she'd seen the bright side of it all.

"Niall text me asking if I was ok." She'd told me cheerfully whilst having her head stitched. "He's definitely going to date me now." It had almost seemed as if she was thankful for what had happened. 

I'd found myself sitting around today, waiting for some sort of sign or communication that they were home safely. I hadn't heard from Harry and quite honestly it had me on edge. I didn't need any more bad news in my life, not after my mother's article and the window exploding. I'd had enough bad news for a lifetime.

My eyes flickered to my daughter who was lying on her stomach on the carpet. Her face was turned slightly to the side with her eyelids closed and her lips slightly parted. I had meant to move her to her cot the minute she'd fallen asleep, but she looked so peaceful that I hadn't been able to bring myself to do it. I also hated the thought her being in a different room to me. Since the brick had flown into our flat I was anxious whenever she wasn't by my side. 

Elenore suddenly flew through the lounge, a complete blur to my eyes.

"Didn't you hear the door?" She asked me, halting before stepping into the hallway. I'd been so caught up in my thoughts I must have missed it.

"No, I didn't." She frowned at me once and disappeared. I sighed and collapsed back on the sofa, pulling the blanket around myself and listening as she opened the front door to whoever was gracing us with their prescence.  

"Surprise!" I was startled upright by the multiple male voices at our front door. The variety of accents was a dead giveaway as to who it was and I was surprised to find myself feeling incredibly nervous. Nola remained comatose on the living room floor, soft snores escaping her mouth. 

The boys bundled in, all trying to get through the door way at once. Harry strode ahead, ensuring he made it to the living room first. His eyes made eye contact with mine and then drifted to Nola's lifeless form on the carpet.

"Oh my god is she alright?" He blurted, frozen on the spot but looking frantically between us. I raised my hands and laughed.

"She's asleep, Harry." His postured relaxed and his lips tugged into a smile.

"Thank God for that." He turned to face me and blushed slightly, opening his mouth as if he were about to say something. My lips parted too, anticipating his words, but he was interrupted by the rest of the guys following Elenore into the room. 

"...so then Niall got really worried because you were having stitches and spent about an hour trying to figure out what to text you." Louis was laughing, his face crinkled with amusement. Niall on the other hand was bright red and flustered, shaking his head while looking down at his feet. 

"That's exaggerating." He huffed at Louis. "I was just getting frustrated with the predictive text, that's all." Elenore's eyes twinkled and she beamed at him, delighted that he had clearly been thinking of her. 

"Don't lie, Nia-" Louis eyes landed on Nola. "Um."

"She's asleep." Harry shrugged.

"She really is like you." Zayn smirked. "Hey, Marnie." They all turned and gave me either a wave or a smile before giving Harry a strange look. He ignored all of them, continuing to stare at me with his lips still parted. 

"So, how was Europe?" Elenore asked them, looking awkward. They all followed her through to the kitchen, leaving Harry and I in the lounge with Nola who had somehow slept through the entire thing. The two of us remained silent for a moment, not entirely sure what to say. Harry cleared his throat and joined me on the sofa, rubbing the legs of his faded skinny jeans awkwardly. 

"I really am sorry, Marnie." He said quietly, taking one of my hands in his. They swallowed my hand whole. Initially I flinched at his touch but the worry in his eyes left me staying put. He stared at me as if he was searching for something, but I couldn't place my finger on what. 

"I know you are." I replied, giving him a small smile. "I'm just glad you're back." 

Harry's eyes lit up and his lips spread into a smile. "Me too, you have no idea. I've been thinking about the two of you non-stop since the incident with the brick. I don't know how I managed to stick around for the remaining shows, all I wanted to do was be here."

Nola stirred on the floor and Harry released my hand quickly, darting down and crawling towards her. "Hey, baby." He whispered, tickling her face with his curls. Nola's eyes fluttered open and she gave him her best dimpled grin. 

She squealed, reaching one of her small pink hands up to his face and sliding her fingers in his curls. He buried his face in in her neck and blew a raspberry, resulting in Nola shrieking with delight. With this laid out in front of me it was hard to remember recent events. 

"...you guys are definitely coming to the show though, right?" Liam's voice drifted into the lounge and I straightened up. Harry remained where he was, face hidden in Nola's neck, and I couldn't help thinking the two of them together looked like one mass of curls. 

"Of course we are, right Marn?" Elenore said suddenly, both glaring and smiling at me at the same time. I had thought a lot about the concert since our unwelcome visitor. I did really want to go, but at the same time it meant being around Harry's fans and if they recognised us, well, who knew what would happen. I wanted to tell them that no, we would not be going, but the hopeful look into Elenore's eyes, combined with the fact she'd taken a hit for me left me with no choice. 

"Of course." I smiled weakly. 

"Is Harry alive?" Niall asked, poking him in the back. Nola squealed and wriggled out from underneath him, latching onto Niall's leg instead. Harry rolled onto his back and sat up, smiling lazily at the rest of us while my heart hammered in my chest at the prospect of taking Nola to the O2 arena. 

"Marnie, chill, it's going to be fine. Harry's working on it." Zayn smiled at me as if he'd read my mind. I couldn't help thinking he knew how Harry was planning to fix this.

"Sure." I sighed, narrowing my eyes at him. 

"It's going to be a great night, I promise." Harry assured me, nodding his head to emphasise the point. "I can't wait for Nola to see us on stage. She'll have to wear a pair of those ear muffs, it might be a bit loud for her." I laughed at the idea of Nola clad in giant ear muffs, twice the size of her head. "I promise, Marnie, it's going to be fine." He added more gently. 

Despite the overwhelming voice in my head telling me that something was bound to go wrong, for once I actually believed him.