Finally

I was surprised at the extent of the relief I was feeling from the realisation that Harry's week of touring across England was finally over. Well, apart from the three tour dates in London that they were heading home for, but at least he was going to be closer to Nola and hopefully further away from trouble. He had Skyped with her every day since the incident, without interruptions much to my amazement, but I was pleased that soon he would finally get to socialise with her face to face. I was so paranoid that Nola would struggle to form an attachment to him if he was so absent all the time, but so far the relationship between the two of them had been no natural it was as if he'd been parenting her since the day she was born. Sometimes I couldn't help but feel slightly jealous. 

"So, Harry's home today." Elenore's eyes twinkled as she tapped away at the laptop resting on a cushion on her lap. 

"Yes, he is." I confirmed, trying to mask the emotion behind this fact. If Elenore knew that I was looking forward to Harry coming home she'd try and turn it into some sort of evidence that I had feelings for the guy. Which I didn't. Obviously.

"You and Nola must be thrilled." She smiled wickedly and looked up at me from under her lashes. 

"Don't," I warned her, shaking my head as the blush crept up my neck. "Just don't." 

My phone vibrated in the pocket of my cardigan and I threw her a frantic look before stalking out of the room and into the kitchen. I was definitely blushing now. There were only two people who ever called or messaged me - Elenore and Harry - and considering Elenore was only in the next room, it was embarrassingly obvious who it was going to be. Especially as Elenore was also very much aware of this fact. 

As predicted Harry's name flashed up on my screen, accompanied by a photo of Nola wearing her gifted bandana. I hoped Harry was planning on buying Nola more because sooner or later that one was going to have to come off of her head and be washed. I'd even been forced to shampoo around it when she was in the bath. 

"Hello?" I said quickly into the phone. I could hear deep voices chattering away in the background and cars racing past. He must have been on the road still. 

"Hey, Marnie!" Harry said cheerfully. "How's it going?"

"Great," I lied, my thoughts lingering on Elenore's constant interrogations. "How are you? How was last night's show?" 

"Really good!" Harry boomed. Sometimes I could tell when he was smiling just from the tone of his voice. "We can't wait to play the O2 now though, it's such a huge arena. How's my girl?" My heart stumbled over it's beating, struggling to keep up witht he surge of feelings.

"Um, Nola's great too. She's looking forward to seeing you, of course." I bit my lip and mentally kicked myself for acting like such a school girl. I wasn't even sure where these ridiculous feelings had come from. 

"Is she awake?" He pressed. Of course he wasn't really interested in talking to me anyway. My eyes flashed to my bedroom door, behind which Nola was sound asleep. 

"I'm sorry, Harry, she's actually having a nap." I always felt terrible if he rang and Nola wasn't available to speak to (not that she was one to hold a conversation anyway). I knew that she was the sole reason for all our communicating, so I hated the thought the of him feeling as though he had to stay on the phone in case he came across as rude. 

"Oh, really? Damn. I need to get my head around the idea of babies actually needing to sleep during the day. I wish I could do the same." He laughed. 

"When Nola was born I tried to sleep whenever she did!" I confessed. "She was a little devil when it came to keeping me awake."

"But she sleeps like a log!" Harry exclaimed, snorting. I leant back against the kitchen counter and switched the phone to my other ear.