S.I.X

"Look at them," Sam huffed and watched Shaun as Ellery returned with a tray of food. "Traitorous bitch."

"I'm going to go over to him," Casey said. "We haven't heard anything all summer, and now he's here he's not talking to us."

"Don't," Ellery said. "Leave him. If he wants to speak to us he will."

"Did you hear from him over summer?" Sam asked.

"No, not a word," Ellery murmured and picked at her sandwich. She suddenly didn't feel so hungry.

Shaun wasn't her best friend. He was more than that. He was the only person that knew everything about her. He was the only person she knew she could tell the bad times to and he wouldn't freak out. He'd be there for her, but wouldn't turn into a protective freak like her brothers would.

"We don't need him," Sam said and flipped her hair over her shoulder. "He's missing out."

Ellery looked over at Shaun and took a sip of her much needed coffee. "I need him."

*

Ellery wasn't looking as she walked into her final class of the day. She was too busy looking at her phone and she gasped when she crashed into somebody.

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry-" Ellery looked up and paled when she saw she had bumped into Shaun.

"Elle," he said.

"I... I, er, you-" Ellery shut her mouth and went to step past Shaun, but he caught her arm.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Is that all you have to say?" Ellery asked.

Shaun sighed. "It's all I can say."

"If we hadn't recognised you, would you've ignored us?" Ellery asked.

Shaun looked down.

"Why?"

"I can't tell you," Shaun said.

"But... Shaun, we tell each other everything. After everything I've told you-"

"I'm sorry. I wish I could. I really wish I could tell you, but I can't," Shaun groaned.

Ellery swallowed and blinked a few times. "Enjoy your new friends, Shaun."

"Ellery, please-"

Ellery stepped away from Shaun and gasped when she crashed into somebody else. Hands steadied her and she looked up into Jace's hazel eyes.

"You okay?" He asked, noticing how Ellery looked teary.

"Wonderful," Ellery mumbled.

"Elle, please know that I'm sorry," Shaun said and Jace grabbed Ellery's hand as she went to walk away.

"What's going on?" Jace asked. "Because I'm pretty sure you don't walk around looking like you're going cry on a daily basis, Ellery."

"Nothing," Ellery sniffed. "Right, Shaun?"

Shaun glanced at Jace, but he was watching Ellery with a frown. Shaun sighed. "Right."

"Great," Ellery swallowed and looked up at Jace. "Can you, um, let go of my hand."

"Cousin, give us a moment," Jace said and pulled Ellery over to a desk.

"Cousin?" Ellery said in shock. "You're the family he went to go and visit!"

"Shaun tells me that you two are close," Jace said. "He's going through a rough stage right now, just give him some space."

"Space? He's the one that never refused to leave when I had rough stages, and now he's just ignored us and is refusing to tell me what's wrong!" Ellery gasped. "Look, whatever, tell him to do what he wants."