E.L.E.V.E.N

"I'm not one to admit defeat, but I can tell you that you're going to get moved from me," Jace said to Ellery when she sat next to him in their next class.

"They want me to apologise," Ellery said and took out her notebook. "To Mr Henshaw."

"I hope you told them to shove that idea up their asses?" Jace asked.

"I said no," Ellery said and arched an eyebrow. "I don't think Cameron would appreciate me saying that."

"Oh, but I would love to see his reaction," Jace whispered.

"I would not," Ellery laughed and she sighed when Mr Henshaw walked into the classroom.

"Ellery, how are you?" He asked and walked over to her and Jace.

"Fine," Ellery said.

"Can-"

"Let me interrupt," Jace said smoothly and looked up at Mr Henshaw with a dazzling smile. "Save your breath and don't tell Ellery to move seats. You'll just be wasting everyone's fucking time."

"Excuse me?" Mr Henshaw gasped.

Ellery looked at Jace and raised her eyebrows. "I was going to say that a lot more politely."

"You don't get anything by being nice," Jace shrugged. "Surely you've realised that with your brothers."

"Ellery, I'm glad you're okay, but I'm going to have to insist that you move-"

"I'd rather not," Ellery said and smiled sweetly. "You can give me detention, but for what reasons? Refusing to move? That does sound bad, but refusing to move because you have no reason to move me. Moving for no reason, that doesn't seem fair, does it? If I disrupt your lesson then I'll move, but I'm not doing anything wrong so why should I move because of a personal grudge?"

"Also," Jace added and stretched his hand across the back of Ellery's chair, "she was attacked like two days ago, so how about going easy on her? That sounds great." Jace looked at Ellery and winked. "Doesn't it?"

"That does sound great," Ellery agreed and chuckled ever so slightly.

"You know what isn't great?" Jace wondered and raised his eyebrows.

"What?" Ellery asked, faking curiousness.

"It's not great that we're currently wasting lesson time." Jace looked up at Mr Henshaw. "Clocks ticking, maybe you should get on with your job... sir?"

Mr Henshaw narrowed his eyes. "Watch yourself, Ellery," he warned and walked to the front of the class.

"I don't think he's too happy with you," Jace whispered.

"Me? What about you?" Ellery laughed.

"Everyone seems to be unhappy with me," Jace shrugged. "You're little miss perfect."

"I am not," Ellery gasped.

Jace made a face. "You are. Or at least everyone thinks you are."

"Are you calling me fake?" Ellery wondered.

"I would never say such a rude thing," Jace said and his mouth quirked upwards slightly. "You know I like bad girl."

Ellery raised her eyebrows. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Jace smiled. "Of course you don't."

"I don't," Ellery argued and she looked up at Mr Henshaw as he started the lesson. "My brothers are going to kill me."

"Let's be real," Jace said. "They're going to kill me way before you."

Ellery rolled her eyes. "Don't joke about that. They will try."