E.I.G.H.T.E.E.N

The house was silent when Ellery returned later that night. She tiptoed to the kitchen and made herself a mug of coffee. There was a note from Mrs B, the housekeeper, and Ellery smiled when she read it.

"You're back late."

Ellery gasped when she heard Trent's voice. "Gosh, you scared the life out of me!" She said.

"Sorry," Trent apologised. "Where were you?"

"At Sam's," Ellery said and took a sip from her mug of coffee.

"Oh really?" Trent said and sniffed. "You wouldn't happen to be lying to me, would you?"

"Of course not," Ellery said and headed to the door. "I better get going."

Trent put his arm across the doorway, stopping Ellery from passing. "It's funny," Trent said, "I saw Sam earlier. In town."

"Did you?"

"Yes, and you weren't with her."

"I was at her house."

"Were you? If that's so, then why did she ask me to tell you to answer your phone?" Trent raised his eyebrows at Ellery who paled.

"Er... I-"

"The truth," Trent said softly. "Please, Elle."

"I was with Franklin," Ellery blurted out. "We have sex. As friends. I was at his house. Having sex."

Trent blinked and cocked his head to the side. "You... What?"

"We have a friends with benefits thing going on," Ellery said. "And I know that you'd kill him if you knew which is why it's been a secret for so long-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Trent said and held his hands up. "Sex. You and... Franklin?"

"Yes," Ellery squeaked. She couldn't believe she had told Trent about Franklin. It just came out. She didn't want to tell him about Jace so she told him about Franklin instead. "Look, it's no big deal! Just please don't tell Cameron or Ethan-"

"How long has this been happening for?" Trent asked. His tone was gentle, but his hands were clenched into fists by his side. The idea of a man touching his sister, her being alone with him- "Ellery, tell me."

"You don't need to know the specifics," Ellery said quickly.

"How long?"

"I don't know! A year? A bit longer?"

"A year?" Trent took a deep breath. "A whole year?"

"Trent, I don't understand why this is a big deal. I'm 17 years old! Nearly 18! You don't see me having a go at you when you're alone with girls!"

"That's not the same," Trent said dismissively.

"How is it not the same?" Ellery demanded. "Every guy I've ever been close with you push away unless they're gay or in a relationship. It's suffocating, Trent! It's not fair. We are the same age, you are not above me or in charge of me. You guys have to stop treating me like a child! I can see who I want, when I want. You have no right to say otherwise."

"We're no longer talking about Franklin, are we?" Trent asked slowly.

"Of course she's not," Cameron called and Ellery's mouth dropped when we revealed himself. "She's talking about Jace. Aren't you, Elle?"

"I... How long have you been listening for?" Ellery gasped.

"Long enough," Cameron said. "And you were lying about being with Franklin, weren't you?"