The Long Drive (Chapter 1)

"Can the air conditioner go on any higher?"

"I just put it on [y/n], so you'll have to give it a chance." your dad responds.

"Okay, it's just so hot outside and this car feels like an oven."

"[y/n] I know, it is hot, it's Summer. In about an hour we'll be at a rest stop. Is that good?" your mom chimes in.

"Yeah, that's good. At least we know we're not driving the full five hours straight to the camp site".

Cole looks over at you and rolls his eyes.

You smile back at him, realizing how much you've probably been complaining and try to just lose yourself in the passing scenery. You're actually really excited for this trip. It's only been two days into Summer break and your family is already driving up to your favorite summer spot - Rockwood Campgrounds. You and your family visit here just about every summer and usually get together with the Apas; your family friends that your parents have known since college.

The Apa family also has three children, and ironically also two girls and one boy. KJ, pretty much Cole's best friend, is the youngest. He has two older sisters named Jess and Ariel. I'm stuck right in the middle in my family. I have a younger sister named Riley and an older brother named Cole. All six of us really love seeing each other over the Summer, especially since it's usually the only time during the year we all get together. That's why the heat in this car ride up to the camp site is totally worth it; it's worth it to have an amazing start to the summer break.

                              -------------------------------------------------------

"Is that the rest stop we are stopping at?" Riley asks.

"How could that be it if we've only been driving for like 30 minutes?" retorts Cole.

"We're almost there Riley. You'll probably recognize it once we pass it." mom says while comforting Riley with a sweet smile.

Riley smiles back but then glances over at me to see if I could be of any help to get the time to pass by. Riley is very creative and always likes to do things. Whether its sewing clothes for her toys or writing play manuscripts to put on shows for us, she is rarely just sitting down and doing nothing. So this is pretty different from what she would normally be doing on a Monday morning.

I decide to be nice even though I'm pretty tired from waking up so early, and say "I'm thinking of a person. Go!"

"Ok! Um... does this person go to my school?" Riley asks with a gleam in her eyes.

"No, they aren't your age."

"Ok, is it a girl?"

"Nope!"

"Ok, so it's a boy. Hmm, is it dad?"

"Haha! You can't just decide who it is without asking questions. It could be anyone in the world!"

"Haha! Ok, Is this person older than me?"

"Yes."

"Are they on tv?"

"No."

"Movies?"

"Nope."

"Okay, so they are not a famous celebrity and they don't go to my school.... Do I even like this person?" Riley giggles.

"You do. Unless when they go to bed really late and then are no fun the next day" you laugh. You can't help but look over at Cole.

He finally glances away from his phone and narrows his eyes at you. "Is it me? Are you trying to draw me into your little game?" He can't help but laugh a bit before finishing his sentence.

"Yes, haha, I had to. I'll pick a real person this time, Riley".

"What? A real person? No, I'll play this time Riley. I've got a person in mind."

Riley was loving all this attention and mom and dad were just glad everyone was content for the most part. We were not really the type of siblings to full on fight. Sure, we have our disagreements and tease, but it's all in good fun.

"Okay, I'm ready!" Riley smiled while leaning on me who was sitting in the middle of the back seat.

"Is this person on tv?"

"You always ask that. But, yeah, this person is someone we watch."

"Oh good! Is it a girl?"

"Mhmm." Cole responded playing with his hair.

"Are they on the show, Big Brother?"

"Yes." Cole says smiling trying not to make eye contact Riley. He knows she has it now.

"It's Julie Chen, right?" Riley laughs.

''Yes, you got it." Cole lets out defeatedly.

"Riley, now do you recognize where we are?" mom smiles from her seat upfront.

"Oh yeah, and I guess now it's been an hour." Riley smiles looking out onto the rest stop parking lot we are now approaching.