Detour (Chapter 11)

I'm a little tired from what had just occurred so at this point I'm not even paying attention to my whereabouts, and am merely following my brother back to the sun chairs. However, after a while I notice that the scenery looks unfamiliar.

"Are we going the right way?" I finally speak up.

Silence .

"Cole!" I speak again this time pulling on his arm.

"Yeah, I heard you the first time. We're just taking a detour." Cole responds while looking around the park as we walk.

" Ummm, ok" This doesn't feel right. Why wouldn't we just retrace our steps?

We stop for a moment. I look in front and see there must be a hold up since there are tons of people waiting to walk too, in front of us.

"This is weird. It's like we're waiting on a line" I comment.

"Well, that's because we are on a line" Cole smirks while pointing to a sign labeled 'The Twister'.

My hearts feels like it dropped to the floor.

"You're joking, you must be." I stare folding my arms in front of me.

Cole just starts laughing and manages to convey to me that this is no joke.

I'm now angry, "Cole, what didn't you understand when I said not to pressure me?!"

"I mean yeah, I know. But it's the least you can do to make up for your inconvenience before" he smirks.

"No... No, I'm not going on this ride. Isn't this the one that turns all over?"

"It is, but you'll love it!" He responds wide smile with his hands on my shoulders, facing me.

"Yeah, I'll pass" I respond beginning to walk away.

"Good luck finding your way back alone!" He calls after me while remaining on line.

I stop, say nothing, and then slowly begin to walk back to him. He knows I have a fear of being lost or worst... kidnapped.

"You wouldn't go on this ride alone"I finally break the silence.

" I totally would. And you wouldn't walk back alone" he then smiles to himself and adds " something might go wrong"

I step back on line and give my brother my most angriest of stares. "You're really annoying"

He laughs and hugs me from behind recognizing that his plan has worked. "[y/n] trust me, you're going to love it! I'm proud of you."

"I had no choice" I roll my eyes.

"Still. It'll be fun" he smiles.

It's finally starting to settle in that I'm actually going through with this when I see that we are closer to the front of the line.

"What if I get water in my ear again?" I nervously ask.

"I don't mind going back to the first aid, so that won't be a problem." Cole responds pushing his hair back.

"What?!"

"I'm kidding. That won't happen on this ride because I'll be with you. We'll literally be together on the same float tube." He answers.

"Oh, I didn't realize you use a float to go on this ride" I say while letting out a sigh of relief.

Cole smiles at me and checks his phone through his water proof case.

"Does mom even know where we are?" I ask concerned.

"Yeah, I let her know we were walking back past some rides you like" he answers nonchalantly.