Coke and Pepsi (Chapter 14)

I settle back at our table. The waiters and waitresses already bring over the salad.

The lights dim down trying to get our attention that the speeches will begin shortly. Seeing an empty seat next to KJ, I begin to wonder where Cole is. I stop wondering, however, when I see him walk Lili over to her table before joining us.

I see KJ smirk at Cole as he sits down and Cole blushes a bit before sipping some water out of his glass.

"Welcome families to our 30th annual dinner formal!" An older women greets the room while smiling brightly into the microphone. "It is with great honor that we join together to thank and celebrate the great service of the Reinhardt family." She stops speaking to allow for a large round of applause.

She then continues, "The Reinhardt family has been at the forefront of all that goes on at Rockwood Campgrounds. Their hospitality and precision to detail plays a major role into why we continuing to keep coming back. While some come to the camp solely during the summer, others come all year round. Nevertheless, Rockwood would not be the same camp we all know and love if it weren't for this amazing family. So I ask that we all toast to this amazing family while the Reinhardts stand and accept this great honor".

We all clap and watch the family rise at their table. I even see Simon manage to smile. This probably means so much to the Reinhardts, whose last name I have just learned, to feel appreciated by their long time patrons.

After a few more speeches, a montage of the camp through the years, and more clapping, dinner had been served. While eating and chatting away, I notice the DJ starting to make their way in and set their equipment up on the same stage where the speeches were made.

"Did you straighten your hair Jess?" asks Ariel.

"Yeah. So what I did was straighten it first and then curl the ends" Jess explains.

"It looks really good" I chime in.

"Thanks! One day I have to do your hair [y/n], I promise!" Jess grins.

I smile back and before I can respond KJ cuts in. All six of us kids talk a lot when we are all together.

"Just don't do my hair" he teases.

"Haha! Oh my gosh, remember Ariel when we used to do KJ's hair?" Jess laughs.

"How can I forget? He looked so cute, especially when we were quick enough to get some makeup on him too." Ariel giggles.

"Dude, I'm so sorry" Cole playfully condoles his friend.

"No worries man... it's made me who I am today!" we all laugh at KJ's comment.

"And anyway, I'm sure [y/n] and Riley have done crazy things to you too when you were younger" KJ adds taking a bite of his BBQ ribs.

Everyone looks at Riley and I.

"I mean yeah, but I guess it's different since I'm older" Cole responds while he raises his eyes at Riley and myself at the word 'older'.

"Which is why [y/n] and I are the way we are, always defending ourselves against you" Riley laughs while pointing her finger at Cole.

"Haha! I'm sure [y/n] has done the worst things to you two!" Ariel teases.

I roll my eyes at her and reply "Sure", drawing out the word.

"[y/n]? Come on Ariel, [y/n] is like the nicest person in the world, she wouldn't hurt a fly" Jess replies.

I mean, I am pretty nice, not to toot my own horn or anything. If I'm with my family on a moody day that's one thing, but with other people I really am consistent.