Chapter 8 - Not a Party Girl

"Looks like a normal necklace to me," Lewis shrugged, handing the jewelry back to Emma.

"Whatever was in it is long gone. But I found it at the bottom of the moon pool," she said excitedly as I admired the silver locket in her hand before turning back around, "It's gotta be important,"

"Maybe there's some earrings that's supposed to match it," Rikki suggested sarcastically from beside me.

"I'm just trying to find answers here!" Emma shot back in exasperation.

I rolled my dark eyes at their bickering, pushing a strand of brown hair behind my ear. It had been two months since we'd become mermaids and we'd all been getting along a lot better than before. But there were still times when the two of them would argue. Of course, having at least known Emma longer than I had, Lewis dealt with their arguments better. Speaking of him though, he'd accepted this whole mermaid business well since finding out our secret. And partly because he had a massive crush on Cleo, he'd kept it, even going so far as to try and find a scientific cure.

"Settle, ladies!" Lewis said in exasperation, turning to the three of us perched on the bed beside him, "Emma, it still doesn't explain why you guys are mermaids,"

"See?" Rikki sassed over her shoulder before returning her attention back to her toenails she was in the process of painting.

"However, I think I've just about figured out which liquids won't turn you into fish," he explained, grabbing one of the many colored bottles filled with clear liquid that he'd lined up along the top of Emma's bed frame.

But before any of us could say more, he had squirted it on Rikki against her protests. It didn't turn her into a mermaid, though, and Lewis frowned in disappointment at another failed attempt.

He picked up his notebook from beside him then before jotting down, "Mostly vegetable oil. No change... Interesting,"

I snickered, shaking my head at Rikki's horrified face as I went back to my book. Let's just say Ursula had a lot of explaining to do about how Ariel got those legs. As I got more and more involved in my book, I could vaguely hear Emma and Rikki discussing party plans. I just tuned it out - parties of any kind had never been my scene personally. Just then, Lewis spritzed all three of us with liquid from a different bottle this time, dislodging me from my thoughts. We all protested, Emma and myself wiping ourselves off.

Glancing over, I shot Lewis a death glare.

He made a face, shrugging only slightly apologetically, "Sorry, Lee,"

I sighed as Rikki mocked Emma's sleepover idea, hopping off the bed as I did.

"Alright, I'm out," I announced, making Lewis frown.

"But there's only a few more experiments I wanted to-" he began to protest but I cut him off mid-sentence.

"Please, no!" I whined, shaking my head adamantly before elaborating, "I don't want to be spritzed with more beverages and cooking oil. I'm gonna go for a swim, clear my head."

A sigh escaped Lewis' mouth just as Rikki transformed on the bed. We all burst out laughing at the annoyed expression on her face as her orange tail hung over the side of the bed, flopping aimlessly. I rolled my eyes, grinning before grabbing my bag and heading out the door.

"Catch you later, guys!" I called over my shoulder before racing down the stairs and out of Emma's house.

Tail, here I come!