Chapter 18 - Oops?

It'd be a lie to say I hadn't been avoiding Zane after realizing my feelings for him. Especially once I'd learned he was going on and on about mermaids to anyone who'd listen. Even more of a lie to say I wasn't surprised when I walked into the large, silver skyscraper in the middle of town holding the seminar to end up seeing Zane of all people there. I avoided him immediately, trying to dodge him.

"Leona?" he suddenly called out and internally, I cringed.

Well, so much for that whole avoiding thing.

"What are you doing here?" he asked me in confusion as he walked closer to where he was standing in front of me now.

Just being this near to him made my heart race but I brushed it off.

"What are you doing here?" I shot back.

Mentally, I smacked myself for that more than stupid comeback.

He sighed," I'm helping my dad with his investment seminar. He's one of the speakers,"

"Fun," I commented sarcastically, arching my eyebrows.

He nodded in agreement. Silence fell between us then and I shifted uncomfortably under his cocoa-brown gaze, feeling more than a little awkward.

"Well, I better be going," I said quietly, turning on my heel to walk away.

"Um-" he began, making me spin back around slowly to face him, as he hooked a thumb over his shoulder, "Lunch is that way,"

"Oh, thanks but I'm fine. I'm not-I'm not hungry anyway," I shrugged, lying again as I felt my stomach grumble.

I really needed to get something to eat.

"Okay, well, I'll catch you later," I told him, turning to leave again but this time he caught me by the wrist, spinning me back to face him.

I felt his fingers press gently against my wrist, sending pleasant tingles up my arm where he touched.

"Hey, I know where there's some food. Heaps of it, upstairs in the suite. The hotel lays it on for my old man," he said earnestly before I saw a mischievous glint enter his eyes, "And if he misses anything, hey, it's good to tick him off."

He grinned down at me and I felt a rush of butterflies in my stomach as I grinned back, following him up to his dad's suite. True to his word, there was a food laid out all over the long dinner table with fruit as well placed atop a small table next to the wall. I hummed happily to myself as I dug in, trying to ignore the amused chuckles of Zane coming from behind me. But as I ate, my eyes flicked suddenly to the windowpane door that led to the balcony. Smiling widely, I didn't wait for an invitation, instead striding over while wiping my hands on my jeans shorts before sliding the door open wide and stepping out. I drew in a sharp breath as I took it all in.

The view was gorgeous - you could see for miles! Everything looked so tiny from way up here. I stepped farther out, admiring it all as Zane did the same. All of a sudden, there was a distinct click behind us and both our heads whipped around. The door had shut. Turning back to it, Zane grabbed it with his hand, trying to force it back open.

But it was no use - the thing was jammed shut.

"No way. It's locked," he told me in annoyance.

I bit my lip, glancing up at him.

"Oops?"