Chapter 10 - Moonstruck

I should've helped. I know I should have. But...I was a bad little fish and didn't. Rikki and Cleo were already helping Emma plan the party for her dad and I knew I'd just be in the way. Maybe Emma knew that too since she told me to show up tonight instead, I thought to myself with a chuckle as a breeze blew my dress against my legs, the silky material clinging to my skin.

"Boo!" a sudden voice into my eyes, making me jump and spin around on my heel to face my assailant.

As soon as my eyes landed on the laughing figure of Lewis behind me, I slapped him on the arm - hard. He mouthed an 'ow', rubbing his sore arm before brushing past me to the front door.

"That was not funny," I growled but he only smiled in response before walking on inside.

Rolling my dark eyes playfully as my anger melted at the cheeky blond while shaking my head, I slipped inside just behind him.

"Lewis, Leona, right on time!" Emma chirped happily when she saw us hovering inside the open doorway.

Both girls stood on either side of her and I smiled over at my friends.

"You look beautiful, Lee," Cleo complimented me sweetly which I returned.

"So do you, Cleo - I love your skirt," I smiled, looking at the emerald material before glancing over at Rikki.

"I'll need to borrow that," I said, nodding towards her faded tan military jacket.

Rikki grinned in response, shaking her head, "Not on your life, cupcake,"

I rolled my eyes at my friends just as Lewis began to speak.

"Yes, well, I'm a sucker for parties," he interrupted, shrugging from beside me.

"Good. I need you to stand on door-duty whilst I get some drinks," she told him before snatching the gift bag in his hands and walking off.

Lewis' face fell and I chuckled at his expression before patting him on the arm pityingly as I followed after her and the girls. Emma ordered me to get some snacks to serve while she gave jobs to Cleo and Rikki. I sighed, stomping over to the tray of pastries on the counter-top. This is exactly why I come - to wait on people, I thought to myself sarcastically. I guess I was too lost in my own thoughts that I never noticed the moonlight trickling down onto my skin from the open window in the kitchen. That is...not until it was too late.

It was like I was in a trance then as my chocolate orbs gazed up into the ethereal, glowing light of the moon. I felt hypnotized by its startling but also tempting beauty washing over me, dulling my senses completely.