Chapter 9 - Caught in the Riptide

I'll be your mermaid, caught on your rod...

As soon as I hit the water, I felt the change come over me. My legs tingled all the way up to my spine, the feeling ethereal before I felt my molecules break apart for a split-second before reforming into my tail. It was painless, as always, and I reveled in the feeling as I cut through the water like a jet. My swims like this were usually with the other girls but since they were busy with their video, I'd just decided to go on my own. It was calming and euphoric, just to glide like this through the water. Strands of my dark brown tresses floated around me, eyes blinking as I couldn't help the smile that split my face as I watched the fish swim along beside me. Mako Island was so beautiful this time of year. Below, at least.

In retrospect, maybe it wasn't much of a surprise when it happened - voices could be heard from above, albeit muffled by the water, and I just barely felt something brush against my bare back. It fell down then, catching me in its clutches. My fingers slipped through the holes, writhing as the net entangled me completely, wrapping around my tail like chains. With my heart pounding in my chest like a jackhammer, I struggled to get free while panic overtook me. No, no, no, no, no! This couldn't be happening!

I heard a clamor up above me and glanced up to see a small boat overhead, the distinct color red making realization dawn on me: Zane! No! He could not find me! I writhed violently then, attempting to break free of the net. I felt so trapped as I slowly felt myself being lifted up towards the surface.

The clear water loomed above me as well as the bottom of the boat. I could see hands moving, pulling the net up, up, up. It was only a matter of time now before they discovered their "catch". But as they were tugging on the fishing net, my eyes locked onto another set of hands I assumed to be Nate's. In his haste, he leaned over the side and with his elbow, making the knife fall into the water. Instantly, I reached a hand out as it sank, forcing my hand through the small hole so hard it hurt. But finally, I felt my fingers grasp the handle and yanking it back inside the net with me, I began to hastily cut away the material.

More voices came from above along with excited shouts. Just a little more and I would be within seeing distance. Yes! With one last cut, I managed to tear a hole into the strong material. Tugging on it until it tore even more, I slipped through the gaping hole and swam away. Shouts of anger drifted down through the water to me and I couldn't help but grin. I'd gotten away!

It felt like my heart would burst out of its chest as I swam my way closer to the shore but finally, I was at a safe distance away from them. My head popped up out of the water then, breaking the surface as I took a big gulp of air into my lungs, feeling shaky from the almost encounter. I could see them from beside the rock where I waited, watching the pair of them as they lifted up the torn fishing net. Zane cursed under his breath, throwing it at Nate before yelling at him that it was his fault. I smirked. Better him than me to take the blame.

Rolling my cocoa-brown eyes, I only watched for a few seconds more before disappearing back under the surface, back to the safety of the water.

But what I didn't notice is the brown eyes that locked onto me as I left or rather...onto my tail