Chapter 19 - Staying Out of the Rain

I'm just as scared as you, alone in the rain...

I smiled, shaking my head as our chuckles subsided, my back against the Plexiglas siding that wrapped around the balcony.

"It's been a mess ever since my mum left and...I just don't think my old man likes me very much, you know?" he confessed and I chewed the inside of my cheek, contemplating my next words carefully.

Words I'd actually never told anyone before - not even Emma, Cleo, and Rikki.

"I wasn't...I was hungry earlier. I just didn't have enough money to buy lunch after I paid for the seminar," I admitted, earning a look of surprise from Zane as I looked down at my hands in shame over the money situation.

"You paid for it out of your own money?" he asked incredulously.

"Dumb, I know. But not all of us are rich," I shrugged, my voice getting softer as I continued, "My parents didn't split up but I often wondered why they stayed together, always arguing over money. I wanna learn more and get some security,"

Silence ensued then before Zane put his hand over mine, squeezing it gently.

"Trust me, money doesn't change anything," he told me, sincerity clear in his deep brown eyes.

I glanced down at our hands, feeling warm all over from his words before looking up at him.

"Funny...I always thought you were so lucky," I admitted to him, our gazes locked.

A sudden clap of thunder broke up our moment though and my body tensed.

"Looks like it's gonna rain." Zane observed.

My eyes widened then as the first tiny raindrops fell from the sky, quickly turning into big raindrops. Scrambling up off the floor, I made a mad dash for the bit of balcony covered by the roof next to the door. A sigh of relief welled up from my lips once I'd made it. Zane followed shortly after, not bothering to hide his confusion over my sudden race to get away from the rain as he pulled off his elegant dinner jacket.

"Do you want this?" he asked, not giving me time to answer before he'd placed it over my shoulders.

Slipping my arms inside, it was rough to the touch and over-sized but I breathed in the scent of him still clinging to the material. I glanced up then to see him watching me with an amused expression, making my cheeks tint dark pink. Slowly, he reached up a tentative hand, deftly brushing a loose strand of brown hair behind my ear. My heart did flips in my chest at the simple action just as he leaned in close to me. Oh my gosh, was he - was Zane Bennett going to kiss...me?! Our lips were centimeters apart, so close I could feel his warm breathing mingling with my own. His mouth was so close now, I could almost taste-

Suddenly, there was a loud click behind us, making us jump apart as Zane's dad glared at us from the open doorway.

"What's wrong with you, Zane? I wait all afternoon for my notes, you don't show up at the seminar, and the hotel staff hand me these!" he snapped, briefly lifting up some crumpled papers in his fist.

I held back a snort as I glanced at the notes Zane and I had folded up into paper airplanes. Following after Zane, I stepped back into the suite.

"We were trying to get someone's attention," Zane defended us, anger seeping into his voice.

"By ruining my notes?!" his dad shot back, whipping around to face us.

"It wasn't like that," I began to say, shaking my head.

His blue eyes hardened when they focused on me, lip curling up in disgust.

"I wasn't talking to you and don't lie!" he spat at me before facing his son, "Honestly, if you have to waste time with a girl, at least pick one with a future! Like one of those down at the seminar,"

My eyes widened. His words stung like I'd just been slapped in the face. I knew what I was - I'd always known. But having it said out loud like that hurt worse than fire on your skin, leaving you burning on the inside.

"Her name is Leona!" Zane blew up at his father before softening his tone, "And she was one of the girls at the seminar. Only smarter. She didn't fall for it."

Slowly, the hurt feeling slipped away, being replaced by an indescribable sensation that warmed me to my core, making me smile. As Zane and his dad glared at each other, I brushed past the both of them.

Not of course before throwing over my shoulder, "I'd like to say it was nice to meet you...but that would be a lie."

I couldn't help the grin that stayed on my face as I walked to the elevator, thoughts of Zane the only thing on my mind. But just as I got on, I heard the sound of running feet before Zane stopped the elevator doors from closing with both hands, calling after me.

"You've still got my jacket." he grinned, making a smile appear on my face as well before I stripped off the jacket and handed it over to him.

Time seemed to stand still then as he took a step closer to me so that our noses were almost touching, hand resting on the side of my neck. And just like that, it happened. His lips connected to mine. Fireworks erupted in my head, a surreal feeling washing over me as I kissed him back. His mouth was soft, gentle, and smooth on my own, molding together perfectly like puzzle pieces. He pulled away all too soon for my liking though, smiling down at me as he did before walking away.

And as the elevator doors closed and I leaned my back against the wall, I couldn't help but let my dark brown eyes flutter closed and my fingertips press to my lips where his had been.

I never wanted this feeling to end.

Note: The Zaona ship is finally sailing!! lol