Prolouge

Shadewillow padded quietly alongside Maplesong. Neither cat said a word until they were at the BreezeClan border. Shadewillow hesitated. "Do we have to go through BreezeClan territory? Maybe there's a different route to the Lightoak."

Maplesong shook her head. "There is no way around. BreezeClan territory basically surrounds it. Besides, why are you worried? We have a valid reason for coming, you know that."

Shadewillow said nothing more and padded onto BreezeClan territory. She wrinkled her nose. BreezeClan scent was odd, smelling of cliffs and mud and ThunderPath. CloudClan scent always smelled of leaf litter, grass, and the stream. She halted at the top of a hill. "BreezeClan cats," she hissed. Maplesong just watched respectfully as the BreezeClan cats bounded towards them. Shadewillow instantly recognized Frostclaw and Fangpaw from Gatherings. "What are you doing on our territory?" Frostclaw instantly hissed threateningly at them.

Just as Shadewillow was about to bite his ears off, Maplesong interrupted and mewed calmly, "We are on our way to the LightOak." Fangpaw's eyes lit up with interest. "What for?"

Maplesong's eyes clouded with grief. "Cloudstar has died."

Shadewillow expected the BreezeClan cats to recoil with shock, but they just shrugged and their eyes widened again with hostility. "What does that have to do with Shadey here?" Fangpaw sneered.

"Be quiet!" Frostclaw ordered his apprentice. Then he turned slowly. "Though she does have a point."

Shadewillow drew herself up proudly. "I am going to the Lightoak to receive my nine lives."

There was silence.

Then, after several moments, the BreezeClan cats bursted out into mrrows of laughter. Shadewillow hissed and leaped at them, but Maplesong grasped her tail in her jaws. "Back off," She managed to mew through Shadewillow's tail. Shadewillow instantly let herself relax. She felt Maplesong's teeth let go of her tail. She twitched her tail tip angrily. "Let's just go to the LightOak already! We're losing moonlight." Maplesong followed Shadewillow as she padded away from the BreezeClan cats.