chapter seven

Shadestar padded up the rocky hill, matching stride with Grey. It had been two sunrises since she had decided to leave her Clan, and she had started her journey with Grey. She didn't know exactly where she was going, but Grey seemed confident so far.

Suddenly, the ground disappeared from her paws. She let out a yelp as she started to fall. She felt Grey's teeth grasp her scruff, and she was being pulled up. As soon as her paws hit solid ground, she ran from the hole. When she got her breath back, she panted, "What was that..?"

Grey cautiously peered into the hole. "It's a gravel sinkhole. Stay close, these things could be anywhere." Grey meowed seriously. Shadestar gulped. From then on she followed in his exact pawsteps. Finally, they reached the top of the hill. Grey studied the land below them. "We should be okay from now on. It looks like solid dirt."

Shadestar suddenly had to trot to keep up with Grey as he padded down the hill. He was much taller than most cats she had ever seen, which made his legs longer and a bigger stride. "Where are we going anyway? You seem to know a lot about this area." Grey stopped and turned around. "Yes, I do. See those woods over there?" He pointed his tail towards some trees on the horizon. Shadestar blinked. "Yes. Aren't those close to our -I mean- CloudClan's border?" Grey twitched his ear. "Kinda. I grew up in those woods. I know a lot about this general area. Past that stream up ahead, however, I know nothing."

Shadestar had to squint to see the shining water of the stream, far away from where they were now. "Is that where we're going?"

Grey nodded. "I'm afraid so."

Shadestar tilted her head. "How do you know?"

Grey stared vaguely at the stream. " I can just feel it. Like a sixth sense I have, my paws tugging me towards it."

Shadestar nodded. " I understand that. That's the same feeling I had back in the CloudClan camp."

Grey turned back to her. "That is why you must come with me. You are a part of my destiny now, Shadestar. Our lives have joined as one."

Shadestar tilted her head. Our lives have joined as one..?