chapter ten

"Thanks, you really saved my pel-"

"What were you thinking?!" Grey spun around furiously.

Shadestar blinked. "What do you mean?"

Grey lashed his tail. "You could have been crow-food, if I hadn't saved you!"

Now Shadestar bristled. "I would have been fine!" she lied. " I know how to defend myself! I don't need some rogue saving me!"

At the word 'rogue', she saw Grey's eyes blacken completely.

"I'm not a rogue!" He spat, and leapt at her, claws outstretched.

Shadestar felt her eyes widen and her fur bush. Suddenly, she was knocked off her paws. Grey was nothing but a black and gray blur, attacking her from every side.

Shadestar spun around, trying to keep track of Grey's movements. Concentrating hard, she watched his pelt.

The world around her seemed to slow. She could see now that Grey was in a black-out. He doesn't know what he's doing.

She remembered what he had told her a sunrise ago.

**************

"If I get mad, sometimes my eyes go all black and I start attacking. If that ever happens, just run away. I don't care where you run to, just run. I don't want to hurt you."

"O-okay."

***************

I don't want to run from you, but it seems like I have to.

Shadestar pelted into the woods. She could hardly feel the branches whip her face. Finally, she stopped when she came to a rise. The woods had cleared out and she was standing on a ledge that seemed to reach out to the sky. Below her, she could see more woods, stretching out to the horizon.

Shadestar lay down, panting.

I hope I can find my way back to Grey. How will I know when to go back?

Shadestar stared out over the ledge, then leapt back in alarm. It's so high up!!

Once she was a safe distance away, she sat down and stared at the setting sun.

" I wonder how my Clanmates are doing." she murmured to herself.

" I don't care how long I stay with Grey. My Clan is my family. My kin.."

" I just hope they're doing okay without me."