chapter eight

Grey twitched his ear. "Are you ready to continue on the journey?"

Just as Shadestar was about to agree, her stomach growled. She suddenly realized she hadn't eaten anything in two sunrises. I've been so excited, I've forgotten to eat! Shadestar mewed shyly, "Can we go hunting first? My belly thinks my throat's be clawed out!"

Grey purred. "Of course. Near the woods over there is a great spot for mice."

"Great! Race you there!"

"Hey! You got a head start!"

Shadestar was only ahead of him for a moment before she heard Grey's pawsteps behind her. Shadestar dug in her claws when she ran, but it didn't help much. She soon saw Grey's fluffy gray bangs bouncing beside her. Shadestar blinked. "You.. you can pass me, you know. Yo-you're fa-faster.." Grey slowed his pace. "All the more reason to keep up with you," He mewed.

He doesn't even seem tired!

Shadestar thought. Finally, she skidded to a halt and flopped down onto the cool grass. "I can't run anymore."

Grey stopped and lay down beside her. "Okay. No reason to waste your energy before we even start hunting."

Shadestar pricked her ears in realization. "I forgot we're going to go hunting! I was so focused on beating you," she confessed.

Grey purred.

"By the time we reach the place we're heading to, you'll have just as much energy and strength as me."

Shadestar glared teasingly at him. "I never said you were stronger!" She leapt at him, her paws hitting directly below his spine. He fell down with a oof.

"Hey! I wasn't ready!"

Shadestar smiled. "A good warr- I mean- A good fighter- is always ready."