chapter four

Shadestar padded cautiously closer to the border. BreezeClan scent always made her wary; she was starting to wonder if this was a good idea after all.

There was no turning back now. She was a mouse-length away from the border, the scent of ThunderPath making her nose wrinkle.

Cautiously she padded across the border, eyes wide and ears pricked, as if danger was everywhere. In a way, it was. BreezeClan cats are nothing but mouse-hearts, Shadestar thought crossly. Shadestar jumped. What was that? A rustle in the grass. Twigs cracking. A low, faint growling..

Suddenly she was knocked off her paws. Before she could hiss in defiance, the cat blocked her mouth with his paw. "Be quiet! Do you want every cat in the forest to hear you? What were you thinking coming here?" Shadestar forced her eyes to open. She saw a black tom with a gray chest, bangs, and tail-tip. His left eye was a light, pale gray and the other was bright red. This isn't a BreezeClan cat...

Something about the tom was familiar, but she couldn't quite put her paw on it...

"Well, are you just going to sit there and stare at me like a dead fish? Get up, for SilverSkies sake!" SilverSkies! I knew something was familiar! She struggled to get up, winded by her fall. Once she was up she faced the tom with hostility. "You.... You're Grey, aren't you?"

The tom smirked. "You're a smart one, aren't you?"

Shadestar trembled. "What do you want.. How did you get here? Wh-"

"There's no time to talk. May I remind you we are on enemy territory! We need to get out of here."

Shadestar narrowed her eyes. Should I trust him? He doesn't seem hostile, but I still don't like the idea of going somewhere with him.

"I'm not going to harm you. But we really need to get out of here, now."

Shadestar took a deep breath. "..... Fine. Follow me!" and she raced off.