Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Back then, in Romania, Hunters were a very large problem." Nixon began and I was only expecting him to start from after he left our Pack, but he was going from the beginning. "We didn't have an abundance of Rouges like you do here. We were a small Pack, lived like nomads basically. My father didn't want us to lose any people if Hunters found us, so he made a deal with one of the many Hunter Organizations that if we helped them their medical problems, they wouldn't harm us. You see, my mother was a very smart woman. She used to be a well-known doctor before she met my father and was turned. There was a plague that was hitting the areas around us and the modern day doctors were finding it hard to control, so they ignored it and pretended we never existed. My mother had been working on a cure after a few of our members fell sick. So, the deal was that once she made the cure, she would give it to the Hunters and we would continue to help them with other medical issues. It's very difficult to explain a werewolf scratch or bite when it isn't healing with normal medicines at a hospital."

"Yeah, no shit!" I found myself interrupting as a memory hit me. "Bryce accidentally scratched me in high school and the hospital almost took me for experiments because their medicine wasn't healing it quickly--oh sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt you." I said sheepishly and Nixon just smiled and shook his head.

"It is alright." He reassured and then continued. "We lived in peace for a while, but once my mother came up with the cure, the Hunters came to the village and set it on fire. The bombs they threw were mixed with wolfsbane, so it made it impossible for us to change and fight back. Julian had been in the crossfire of a blast, so I ended up having to carry him to safety from the order of my father. He told me to wait until the Hunters were gone before coming back. So I masked out scents with herbs I found in the woods and hid until the coast was clear. I ended up falling asleep but quickly awoke when I had a nightmare of what had happened. Julian was awake now and we headed to the village only to find it nothing but ashes. My parents were burnt to a crisp along with everyone else in our Pack. I wanted to fight back so badly but I knew we were defenseless. So, we heard of a Pack in America that had a lot of resources and knew if we could get in their good graces, we could have a chance at taking the Hunters down. Once in America, we made a name for ourselves within the werewolf community as sort of assassins. We were hired by lesser-known Packs to take out problems or we were hired by very large Packs to take out the competition. All this secured our way into Bryce's Pack where we were hired to find deflectors from the Pack that could sell valuable information to others." I never knew why Nixon and his brother were in the Pack that day and I never cared to ask back then because it wasn't my business, but I guess I know why now.

"Anyway, we finished the job quickly and then got our intel on the Hunters. It turns out the group in Romania broke a very strong code by attacking someone they claimed as an ally. So while most of the members were killed or exiled, some ran away and joined with a strong Hunter group in the States. Byrce's father Jordan has been keeping a close tab on this group and gave us all his information on them. While I wanted to find the Hunters and get revenge, Julian was convinced--and still is convinced--that our parents were alive and being held, prisoner. He claims it wouldn't make sense to just kill our mother like that when she knew so much information and that we never saw their bodies, just ashes. He was young, so I didn't want to ruin his bubble but I knew it would have to burst soon. However, when we found the group, their headquarters had been demolished and not a single Hunter left alive. We were at a dead end and I counted it as the Goddess serving a warm dish of karma. The killers that took our family died horribly themselves and that's all I needed for my closure." He paused and sighed heavily after that. "Julian, on the other hand, still believes their out there along with our parents. I've managed to suede him away from his investigation but I'm sure it will start back up here shortly."