12

Continued

Beyoncé

Once Yara left the kitchen, I headed to my room to get dressed for dinner.

"Babe, are we going somewhere low key tonight?" I asked.

"Yea. You don't gotta dress up fancy." After he said that, I went into my closet and looked at my section filled with sneakers and athletic wear. I chose a pair of Adidas shoes because I felt like dressing all the way down, and grabbed a matching track suit. I stripped out of my current clothes and got dressed and walked out the closet.

Shawn looked at me and immediately laughed.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"It's just that you never wear track suits. I'm surprised you still had 'em." He replied. I rolled my eyes and pulled my hair up into a high bun.

"I just don't feel like dressing today. You ready to go?" I asked.

"Not yet. Can you go check the kids and have them downstairs?" I nodded my head and only grabbed my phone. I didn't feel like carrying a purse either, and plus Shawn was paying anyways.

I decided to check on Corey first since he's my sweet baby. He's only nine & thank God he hasn't given me any trouble. I knocked on his door before stepping in.

"Hey Corey. Go ahead and turn your game off and meet us downstairs." I said.

"Okay Mommy."

I left his bedroom door open and walked further down the hall to Yara's room. I knocked on her door before she gave me the okay to come in.

"Hey. We're heading to leave now. Meet us downstairs, okay?" I said.

"Alright. Are we going somewhere fancy?" She asked. She wore ripped jeans with a plain tshirt & Adidas shoes. I smirked at her choice of shoes. We were wearing the same pair.

"Nope. What you have on is fine." She nodded her head and began to get her things. "Wait." I turned back around to her.

"Why aren't you like...dressed up?" She asked.

"I guess I wanted to just be myself, you know?" I said honestly. Lately I've been over wearing the latest high fashion outfits and having to act "perfect" all the time. Perfection is impossible and through my therapy sessions, I realized I've spent my entire career trying to be that.

I closed her door and walked downstairs. Shawn and Corey were already standing at the door. Soon Yara came down and we headed to the car.

"I was thinking we could go to Nobu's tonight." Shawn said as he drove. I scrunched up my face.

"Um I'm not exactly dressed for that and did you call Julius to meet us there?" I asked. Julius is my longtime bodyguard.

"Nah we'll be good and you look fine. We'll sit at our normal spot and walk through from the side entrance." Shawn said. We sat down in our regular booth and were immediately greeted by our waiter. We've been here so much the staff already knows our go-to drinks, appetizers and meals. Crazy, huh?

"So Yara...how was your track meet?" I asked. She sat across from Shawn and I. Corey obviously sat next to her.

"It was cool. Where were you? I mean, you never come to my meets but today was my last one for the season." I immediately felt bad. I looked over at Shawn and he shook his head. He's always telling me to support her activities, but I feel like it'll make things worse. I don't need any fan attention given my way during public outings, especially when it involves her. It's bad enough my Beyhive lowkey drags Yara on social media for always referring to Jennifer as her mom when they know she's my kid.