16

Few years later, 2018

Yara

It's the premiere night of my spin-off show from Black-ish, called Grownish and I'm super excited! It's airing a month before my 18th birthday, so I decided to celebrate the two together. My parents rented an outside movie screen projector for the backyard, and it's set up above the pool so some can lounge in the water or sit on couches and blankets all over. But knowing my friends, no one's getting in the pool.

"Girls, are you ready?" My mom said coming into my room, peeking her head in. My close friends, Chloe and Halle, who just so happen to be on the show were in the room. My mom decided to slow down with her career and start her own management company so she signed the girls which is even doper. They're like my sisters.

"Yes. Is everyone outside?" I asked. I was fluffing out my fro. I had my closest friends rock a custom made James Baldwin t-shirt because he's my all-time favorite author and I paired it with denim jeans.

"Uh huh. Shawn is on the grill and the caterers already placed your cake and all of the desserts on the kitchen table." She said. Chloe, Halle, and myself walked outside to greet all of my guests.

My Black-ish family came to support me as well as my friends and family. Adam even came with his family which was cool, I guess. We're better ever since he foolishly gave me that ultimatum about moving to New York. He realized that was a dumb idea and we slowly got to where we spend time every few weeks if not in person or over the phone.

"Okay everyone! It's time to watch my baby's first episode! Yara come say something." I was chilling near the pool when my mom announced that on the mic. It's a lot of people so we needed that. I stood up and took the mic from her.

"Hey everyone! Thank you so much for coming out to see Grownish with me and also celebrate my 18th birthday! Grownish has a lot of heart and so much hard work was put into creating the show, and I'm incredibly thankful for the support I've had from my family and friends. I hope you enjoy & make sure you live tweet your thoughts!" I said. Everyone clapped and I sat down on a blanket filled with tons of pillows as the theme song played.

Jennifer

I showed up a little late to Yara's party, but it's for good reason. I wanted to get her a special gift for her big day, but I had to pick up a special person from their hotel. I texted Beyonce to meet me at my car so she could greet the person, and tell us where we needed to hide.

Once the Grownish episode ended, we were going to enter the backyard with the surprise but we needed the cue.

"Thank you so much for doing this." Beyonce told my guest.

"No problem. Yara's a special person and I wouldn't miss it for anything." The person said. We had a cameraman documenting the entire moment so as we walked to the hidden spot, the camera followed us.

"Alright so give the cue and we'll walk, Bey." I said.

"Alright Jenn." Beyonce walked back to the party while we stood waiting. I'm so giddy because I know Yara is going to freak. Once we heard clapping, indicating that the episode ended, we knew Beyonce was about to get on the mic.

Yara