3 | smile for me

"Jimmy?"  Thomas roused the dozing blonde curled next to him on his too small bed.

"Hrm?"  Jimmy's delicate lashes fluttered as his vision focused on Thomas next to him propped up on an elbow, holding a pocket watch in his other hand.

"Do you have a photograph of yourself?" Thomas asked still looking at his watch.

Jimmy took a moment to think about what the few pictures he did own that traveled with him.  When he'd first gone into service just before the war his mother had sent him with a family portrait from when he was about twelve years old which he still had in his possession.  She had made a habit of getting him and his father to a photographer at least once every few years she could manage and there was enough money.  He'd only acquired a few more photos when his mother passed which was one of his father in his military uniform just before he'd left, one of himself in his own uniform which he'd had made for his mother just before he left, and the last family portrait that was made when he was fifteen.  After his mother passed one of the cousins that came to help settle affairs had gone through photos, handed the three to him insisting that he must take them and asked if he cared particularly about the others knowing that he didn't exactly have the luxury of space.  When he inquired what would become of them if he didn't take them she said she would keep them if ever he wanted them and if not would archive them along-side her own family photos, they were family after all.  He didn't care and let them go took a book of his father's to keep the portraits in so they didn't get bent and ruined.

"Nothing recent.  I've got one I had made for me mum in my uniform before I got shipped out and a couple of me with my parents from when I was younger."

"You haven't been photographed since the war?"  Thomas asked with surprise.

"It cost money.  Not everyone goes having their picture made all the time. I remember hating when my mum made me go as a kid," Jimmy said defensively.  "When's the last time you had a photo made then, Thomas? And what's brought this on anyhow?" Jimmy asked sleepily.

Thomas closed his watch and leaned over Jimmy to set it upon his bedside table.  "Just had one done a few weeks ago to send to my cousin in Bombay.  We trade one every year to see what age has done to us.  We were close and don't want to forget each other so we keep up appearances as though we see each other in person.   I got his for this year a few weeks back so I had one done and mailed it last week."

"Not as though I have anyone to send one to, and what's the point of having them of myself?  I'm not a narcissist, you know."  Jimmy untangled himself from Thomas and sat up on the side of the bed.

"Would you not have one done for me?"  Thomas sat up and moved to hug Jimmy from behind, twining his arms around his abdomen and planting light kisses on his shoulder and neck.  "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I never want to forget you.  Just as you are now.  I'd still love to see the one of you in our kit, but it wouldn't do for me.  I didn't know you yet."

Jimmy turned his head to the side to capture Thomas's lips.  "If it means that much to you..."

"Just get one done on your next day off."

"I'm not sure how much it costs, and I also don't have much money right now either."

Thomas let out a sigh and kissed the side of Jimmy's forehead.  He moved to the other side of the cot and opened the drawer to his bedside table where he then extracted a few bills which he brought back and pressed into Jimmy's hand.  "That should cover it.  Get a couple and I want one of you smiling."

"Thomas, people don't smile for photographs."  Jimmy stood from the bed and gathered his pyjamas from the floor and began dressing.  It was getting late and time he should be returning to his own room.