Chapter three: The Hug

The Hug.
Y/N POV:
The voice was still haunting me.
But I seemed to forget about once I woke up. I wanted to reach out to the voice. Embrace it. Trap it. Just so I wouldn't forget it. But I couldn't. Something was holding me back, like two strong arms, and the moment I turned around, I heard a new voice.
It was cold and loud, not welcoming at all, making me want to run the opposite direction, back to the warm, calming voice telling me "WICKED is good,"
But something was off.
The boys voice screaming for me to run. To run and never come back.
"Run, (y/n) run!"

****
I woke up early today so I could take a shower, today the keepers would chose my job. I was way to scared to take a shower when the boys were awake. You know because I'm surrendered by more than 20 hormonal teenage boys! What a god damned nightmare.
Newt thought that it was a good idea to build a shower only for me, but no one approved, which made me angry. Let a girl have some privacy.
I went into the showers and undressed. The water was cold and there wasn't any soap to make me smell better, but i don't think the creators would send a pack of rose smelling shampoo now would they. Of course those shanks would never do something like that. I sighed.
I wonder how I look like. There is no mirrors here, but I could ask somebody. No no no, that would be way to awkward.
I finished my shower and opened the brown stall door, only to se Newt standing in front of the shower, in shook. I felt my cheeks go red and I froze in my steps. Luckily I had a towel around me so he didn't se anything that he shouldn't.
"Shuck! I'm so bloody sorry. I-I didn't know, em, that you ehh were in there." He sounded so nervous that it was kind of funny. His eyes was still locked on me, so I quickly went back into the shower stall and closed the door. "It's okay. I know you didn't mean it. Ehhh, but can you at least give me my clothes so I can dress myself?" I said while giggling a little. "Oh yeah sure, of course." He handed me my clothes and I dressed myself. I had a white bra, a grey long-sleeved shirt and a pair of black jeans. Of course the creators had to give me jeans! I was trapped in a maze, surrounded by boys and they didn't want me to be able to walk. Those shucking jeans.
"I'm bloody sorry. I thought you were one of those shanks and I'm so, so sorry
(y/n)." He talked so fast that it was almost impossible to understand what he was saying. I laughed before saying, "It's fine Newt. And I'm happy it was you and not one of those other shanks, like Minho." He simply laughed. I opened the stall door once again and saw Newt, his face was completely red and he was still looking at the stall door. "I'm thinking you're going to take a shower, so I'm gonna leave before anything more awkward then this happens." I said while walking away
"(y/n)? Can you, not mention this to anyone? Please. Minho would never shut up."
"Are you serious? Do you really think I was going to tell anyone about this? Oh god I can hear Minho's voice talking about it. You're right he would never shut up."
I walked out of the showers not even waiting for an answer, but just as I'm out of the room I can hear Newt mumble something, to himself, "You dumb bloody shank. Now she's gonna think you're a bloody creep." I giggled before walking off to get some food.

****

The keepers would now pick a job for me. Minho told me to wait outside the Homestead until they called my name. It felt like hours before I heard Alby call my name and I stormed into the room.
"Sit over there (y/n)." Alby said, pointing at a chair facing everyone. I sat down and stared at my shoes.
Well this was awkward.
"Okay, so we have decided a job for you. Can Gally step forward." Gally took a step forward. Oh my god yes! Happiness washed over me. I was actually good at building stuff and it was a lot of fun. It was also pretty hard work, let's just say I would do my best, and I wouldn't disappoint anyone.
"(y/n) you're gonna be a builder for as long as we stay in the maze. And I need you to promise to never go beyond those walls." I nod and say, "I swear to never go beyond those walls." Alby nods and a faint smile appeared on his face, but it faded as fast as it came. "You will begin to working after lunch.
Everyone get back to your jobs!" He shouted and everyone hurried outside.
I had nothing to do since my job wasn't going to begin until after lunch, so I had a lot of spare time. I decided to explore a little, not exactly explore the glade, but  find out something about the gladers.
I took a good look around and my eyes fell onto Newt. I noticed that he walked in a weird way. I then noticed that he had a slight limp.
He has a limp. I wonder what happened to him. Did he hurt himself while running around and making sure everyone was okay? Did anything bad happen to him?
My eyes seemed to be glued on to Newt. I've never thought of it before but Newt was one of the nicest persons here in the glade. And he could kill people with his beautiful chocolate brown eyes. I mean he is extremely nice and smart, and he always cared about me.
Suddenly we made eye contact and I looked away and acted normal, like nothing ever happened. Well act normal, I was now studying a tree. Oh how normal. I looked over to his direction again and found him staring at me so I simply smiled and waved at him. He scratched the back of his neck and smiled at me. He started walking towards me and I paniced completely, but tried to act like it was nothing. Back to studying this beautiful tree.
Why am I feeling this? Why am I panicking? Okay he's here, act normal. No stop studying the shucking tree.
"Hey, what are doing here all alone?" He asks me in his deep British accent. He smiled weakly. "Is that tree really interesting?"
"Well I have to wait until lunch so I can begin working, so I have nothing to do, and no, the tree is not interesting." I say smiling.
"Well then I would like to offer you to come and maybe help me a bit?" I smiled and nodded at him, I got up and started to walk next to him. Newt put his hand on the small of my back, which gave me a weird feeling, to lead the way.
Why the shuck is this feeling even here? And what kind of feeling is this? Do I like Newt? No no no, I can't like him. He probably doesn't even like me. And after seeing me almost half naked today, I think not.
I'm broken out of my thoughts by Newt snapping his fingers in front of me, trying to get my attention. "(y/n)? Are you listening ?" He asked. I simply nod and add, "Yeah, I am." What a stupid lie. "Well since you were listening, what do you think?" He crossed his arms and lifted a brow. I had no idea what he was talking about, because I wasn't listening. "Oh I think it's a great idea!" I lied again. He laughed and looked down. "So you think it's a great idea for you to sleep with Minho?" My eyes widened. I shook my head. "No no no no no no. I-You- ugh! Fine I wasn't listening to you at all. I'm sorry." He laughed and so did I. "It's fine. And I was bloody kidding with that Minho part." He laughed nervously. I nodded and smiled. "Well I was just going to tell you something." "And what's that?" I ask. "It's just that I'll need some help with, ehhhh. I was wondering if you would like to help me with being second in command. Like third in command. You know, I think those shanks will bloody listen to you and I really need help sometimes and-"
"Of course. I would love to help you with that. But before anything, don't you need Albys permission?"
"I'll do it later."
"Okay, but we need to get going now, it's lunch time."
We walked over to the usual spot we always sit on. Chuck joined us and we started eating.
"Where is Minho?" I ask, making the two boys look at me.
"He had to do some, ummm, runner stuff." Newt answers, scratching the back of his neck, which I now understood was something he did when he was nervous or lying.
But why was he nervous? And what was he lying about? He was probably just feeling awkward after what happened earlier today.
"Oh, okay. But anyway I've got to go. You know I got that new job. See ya." I walked off as fast as I could because I didn't want to stay in the awkwardness anymore.
I went to the builder area and met Gally again. For som reason he was always kind to me. He didn't yell at me like he would at anyone else.
I didn't focus on my work, only at Gally. He kept staring at something in the gardens, and I couldn't figure out what it was. I suddenly make eye contact with Gally. His eyes widened and he became red as a tomato. He started to walk in my direction and I started panicking.
oh shuck, i messed up! Is he going to yell at me? Or worse, kill me? Was he angry because I wasn't working?
"What were you staring at?" He yelled at me, making me jump. "I-I wasn't staring-" "Yeah you were! Why the shuck aren't you working, huh?" He interrupts me.
Why was he like this? Why was it important to him that I just stared at him?
People started walking in our direction, but they did nothing. They just stood there and stared at us, some of them With a confused expression.
"Hey! Bloody calm down Gally! She did nothing so bloody calm down!" Newt runs to my aid, standing in front of me like a guard, protecting me from Gally. Gally calms down and looks at me in shame. Everyone was now either looking our way or standing around us, watching in exitment, or confusement. I wanted to run, run far away and never come back. But where could i go? I didn't know the glade, so I didn't move. "I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry
(y/n), I really didn't- I'm so sorry."
I didn't even listen to him. I couldn't stand to stay there anymore, so I looked Gally dead in the eyes and took off. I didn't run, I just walked fastly away, very fast. I walked right to the Deadheads, where I thought no one would come looking for me. But someone came, and that someone was Newt.
"Hey! (y/n)! Stop!" I didn't do as he said.
I felt tears sting in my eyes, but I didn't want to start crying in front of Newt. Not after what just happened. So I took a deep breath and stopped , my back facing Newt. I forced myself to stop crying and turned to Newt. "(y/n), I'm sorry. Like I said Gally can be a shucking slinthead sometimes, and I'm so sorry for that."
I didn't respond. I just stood there, trying so hard not to cry.
Why am I even crying? He just screamed at me. I'm strong, so why the shuck am I like this?
Newt stared at me for a few seconds, but then he pulled me into a tight hug. I didn' fight back, but I didn't  hug him back either. I just stood there, trying not to make everything akward. i wanted it to last forever, to feel his strong arms around me forever. I stood there for a moment, but then I hugged him back. I needed to hug him back, I needed that hug. the warmth of his body was comforting, and i closed my eyes. I felt his arms embracing me, felt like no one could take him from me. like no one could break the hug. It felt comfortable. And for a second, just for a second, I totally forgot that we were in the Glade. It felt like we weren't in this horrible place. And in that one second, I felt something I hadn't felt in a long time. Safe.
I felt safe in his arms and I would wish that he would never let go. I started to cry softly. But then I let out a sob and Newt started to stroke my hair. Trying to calm me down.
We fell to our knees, still hugging.
Why did I feel safe? Why was he doing this? And why did I have this feeling? It felt like something I've felt before, but only once. And it was so familiar, yet so unknown.