THRITY: TOM AND NELLIE

PART TWO, THIRTY: TOM AND NELLIE

Being with you and your father brought up old memories, it made me hope that we could be a perfect little family. But of course, that could never happen.

Waking up the next morning in his old house was quite familiar to him, he woke up to sea air that instantly calmed him. Being in this house felt like he never left.

Tom stood up from the couch, cracking his neck in the process. He walked around the coffee table admiring the little differences within the house. The windows were open letting the cold October air rush in, the light blue curtains swaying side to side like a small dance. The wind chime made the quiet music which rung throughout the entire house.

Tom missed morning like these, Mornings that he actually felt human. Mornings that made him rethink his life choices.

Tom stepped towards the porch, the door swinging open, he just stood there watching the day go past, the sun little low in the sky, the stars fading and moon far in the the distance. He watched the shore sneak up on the sand and hearing the seagulls soar above him.

A chill went through him and there were instant goosebumps, he went inside the house and looked around, he didn't do so much last night.

Tom neared the the mantle of the fireplace, picking up each of the picture frames to admire the photos, he particularly loved the one of Emma at the beach near the house, she was laughing. She was happy.

He picked up another, it seemed to be the exact same day as the others, Eleanor was in a swin suit, she looked younger probably about four or five. Max was next to her as they watched the ocean, her head turned and Eleanor waved.

It seemed to be a beach day, all of Emma's friends and her father were there, all the photos were of them laughing and smiling, Tom didn't know how but they managed to find happiness without him and he wasn't sure if he was glad or angered by it

He made his way towards the kitchen, stopping as he stopped the pencil lines on the wall which recorded Eleanor's height over the years, he touched them lightly. Careful enough to not smudge.

He heard movement in the kitchen, It was Emma, her back was towards him, she seemed to be humming a song as she bobbed her head back and forth as the water from the sink splashed as she washed dishes by hand. She was already dressed for work.

"You know there's magic to do that" Tom said aloud startlingly her, she jumped out of her skin.

Emma turned towards him her hand clutching her chest "Tom you frightened me" she said

Tom looked down at his socks "Sorry", Emma turned back towards her task "I know there's magic to do this but sometimes I like doing things the Muggle way"

Tom hummed in response, Emma grabbed the silver kettle and placed it on the stove ready to make tea

"Do you still take your coffee nauseatingly strong?" Emma asked suddenly

Tom looked to the floor in amusement and looked up at her "I do actually"

Emma hummed in response "I guess some things don't change", she turned facing him placing her hands behind her back grasping the sink, they both just stared at eachother, there was so much that was unspoken between them and Emma felt as is it was better left unsaid.

"So I've done a lot of thinking last night, and I believe that is unfair to Eleanor if she never gets to know her father and it is unfair to you because well it takes two to make a baby, so I will allow for you to have a relationship with her" Emma cringed at the thought of letting her monster of husband get close to her daughter