Smiles

You drove home with a huge smile on your face. You just couldn't stop think about him. He was so kind and loving. You thought about him being a great dad, which really made your heart flutter.

Everything was warm, until you pulled into the driveway. Well, next to the driveway since it was already taken by an unfamiliar car. That meant Tom was home with a visitor. And lord, don't let it be a lady.

You groaned as you pulled yourself out of the car. But you made sure Jeffrey's number was safe in your pocket. As you walked to the door, you could hear  Tom and another guy cheering. As you reached for the door knob, you let out a sigh. At least he wasn't cheating.

"Babe! You wouldn't believe the score of the game!" Tom yelled before you could even close the door.

"Oh nice," you said as you walked past the living room where him and his friend had made a mess. Couch cushions askew. Chips everywhere. And smashed beer cans littered the floor.

"You've met John before, right babe?" Tom said as he stood up from the couch, dragging his friend along. You took a glance at John and noticed he seemed slightly familiar. He had probably been over before to watch a game.

"Oh yeah, hey." You said with a slight wave as you began heading up the stairs. But before you could get past the first few steps, Tom was pulling you back down.

"Where you going," he said as he wrapped an arm around your back. He wasn't drunk, but you could smell the alcohol on his breath.

"Upstairs to take a nap," you lied. There was no way to even close your eyes with them yelling at the game. He went to press a kiss to your lips but you turned away. Before he could say anything you started up the stairs. "Have fun guys," you said once you reached the top.

You made your way to your bedroom and closed the door. Making your way over to the bed, you pulled out the note. You reread it, making you smile once again as you typed in the number.

"So when are you paying for the next meal?" You typed in and sent. Hopefully that was his actual number. That could be awkward.

"Ah, nice to talk to you again doll," he sent back almost immediately.

You smiled. You almost felt like you were in highschool again. You got the same butterflies in your stomach and the haze in your head. You sat down and leaned against the headboard of the bed.

You went into your contacts and created one for him. Jeff :). You watched the typing bubble at the bottom of the screen and waited for his reply. Eventually you received it.

"I'm quite busy for the next few days. Maybe Wednesday?" He sent.

You thought about it, and then realized you had to work that morning. A groan came out as you sent him the text, telling him that you would be busy.

"Morning. Keyword. That doesn't mean that the rest of the day is taken," he responds. A smile slowly formed on your face. He was right, you only had to work in the morning.

"So a dinner thing?" You question him.

"A dinner date ;)"

Your heart stopped at the last word. Date. He's basically asking you on a date. You took in a deep breath and ran your hands through your hair. Even though he's the one that said it, it could mean nothing. You couldn't let your hopes up.

"Sounds good :)" you replied, returning the happy face.

You watched the 3 dots at the bottom of the screen in anticipation. So much so that you didn't hear Tom stumbling up the stairs. "Who are you texting?" He asked as he walked up next you.

With quick thinking, you taped over to another app. "I'm texting Instagram," you replied smoothly. Tom furrowed his eyebrows at you and looked at your phone. When he saw that you were indeed on instagram, he shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

"John and I are gonna head over to the bar to watch the final inning."

You almost ignored him until you realized what time it was. "It's not even 5pm yet." You sat up in the bed and gave him a stern look.

"It's five o'clock somewhere," he said with a smirk. You rolled your eyes and he sat down on the bed next to you. "Babe, I'm joking. We are just gonna hang out with the boys."

You shook your head and looked back down at your phone. He gave a playful shove and told you he'd be back once the game was over. But you never looked up or gave a care.

He clomped down the stairs, said a few words to his friend and left. The front door closing in a slam. You stood up from the bed and watched them back out of the driveway and speed down the road. You knew that would probably be the last time you saw him for the evening, and you weren't very sad about it.

You made your way downstairs and was Astonished by the mess. You didn't even see the spilled popcorn earlier. Letting out an audible huff, you grabbed the trash can and began cleaning.

You were almost done when your phone started ringing from upstairs. You sat down the broom and made your way up. The classic ringtone got louder and you stepped closer, hoping it was Tom. Thankfully, it wasn't. And his name was replaced with one with a smiley face attached.

You quickly picked up the phone and answered. "Hey," you said in slight confusion. Why was he calling you?

"Hello," he said with a slight chuckle that brought a smile to your face. "Sorry to bother you but Gus wanted to go see a movie-" Jeffrey began but he was cut off by a young boy. "A scary movie!" You heard him yell in the background.

You and Jeff both laughed. "Yes. A scary movie. Anyways, I couldn't help but wonder if you would want to go..?" He asked.

Shocked by the offer, you physically nodded. "Yeah, I would love to." You thought it was odd that you be seeing the movie with his kid, but you would have to meet him eventually.

"Great. The movie starts at 6:10 pm. Would that be a good time for you?"

You pulled the phone away from your ear to check the time. It was 5:38 already. "Yeah Im good with that," you stated.

"Okay we will see you there," Jeffrey replied.