The meeting

Naintara's POV

"Your Highness, please be seated. Our King would enter after few moments" said the servant.

I was standing in the Royal Palace of Harsha Kingdom. Though my father was against my meeting, he had to reluctantly allow me to visit my so called future father in law.

My thoughts were interrupted with the entry of the King Harsha. He smiled at me kindly. Though his wrinkles and face showed hints kindness, he had an aura of being a powerful know-it-all person. I touched his feet as a mark of respect. (knowing that he was elder and a friend of my father)

Greetings were exchanged and he inquired to me about health of my parents and siblings. Then he got quiet and waited for me to speak up the reason for fixing a sudden meeting with him. Though nervous, I was determined to clear the air of unfamiliarity between us.

"Your highness, I have come here to seek the answer of my question. Please pardon me for my curiosity." I asked politely.

He smiled and said "Go ahead, I shall try my best to answer you with all my abilities"

"Your highness, why have you chosen me specifically for your son? My sisters are more beautiful and feminine than me. I am just a plain face"

The King chuckled and said "it's not the beautiful face that I am looking for. It's the heart and qualities inside you that would make you an asset for my kingdom. I would not only get an able daughter in law, but also someone who would be equal to my son. I want someone who could keep his arrogance in check. Though he might mind initially that I didn't go for 'better options' (ie other princesses), but I know what is best for my son."

As soon as he completed the statement, I panicked. My plan didn't work out and now I would have no option but to marry his son.

As soon as I exited the grand palace, I looked here and there for any signs of the prince. Maybe he would see me and reject me. Who knows? Maybe he would see me once and change his mind of marrying someone like me.