Chapter Twelve

A Month and a Half Later

I was packing the pounds on slowly but surely. I've come a long way from before. I look a little less sick, and a little more healthy. The cancer has been removed, so I'm okay for that. Papa and I made a deal. If I got better he would, so that meant he would cut back on drinking, and he has done more than before. I'm proud of the both of us. I've also stopped the cocaine use, so that was another good thing. It was almost the middle of November, and that meant Christmas was almost here again. Something I didn't want to deal with. About two months ago it marked one year since Em passed, and it still doesn't feel like it's been this long. Tonight we were having a family dinner. Something dad's decided to do every now and then. I wasn't off of the tube yet, but this was the first time my family members would know about it. Last family dinner I was in for surgery, so they had it without me. I was glad because I didn't wanna explain the whole situation. 

I was the first one up this morning. I had the kids with me while I took a bath. Well I wasn't in yet. I was ready to weigh myself before getting in. I got on the scale to weigh myself, and honestly I was so nervous. I heard a knock on the door. "Sam, you okay?" "Yeah I'm just getting into the tub after I weigh myself." "Alright let me know the results." I agreed as he left I'm assuming. I looked down and saw ninety-nine pounds. That was better than the solid eighty I was weighing a while back. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't happy at the same time. I stepped into the warm bath. It was relaxing. Sadie stood up and tried to splash in the water. "No, play with your toys." She laughed at me. I ignored her silliness as I sunk down further. 

I don't remember falling asleep in the bathtub, but I do remember dad pulling me out of the water. That wasn't fun. "Sam why didn't you call me to help you?" Dad said as he handed me a towel. "Dad I didn't even know I fell asleep. Where's the kids?" "Your uncle took them downstairs. So how much do you weigh?" I knew he wouldn't stop asking if I didn't tell him. "I weigh ninety-nine pounds. I'm almost a hundred pounds. So does that mean I can come off of the tube?" Dad chuckled as I got dressed. "Nice try, that doesn't mean that. When you get to a reasonable weight you can. Now you're gonna eat dinner with us tonight?" "Yes I am. I just don't want everyone to throw questions at me. They know I'm sick right?" Dad sighed. "Yes dear they do. I will tell them at the door to not bother. But try not to throw your food up." I rolled my eyes. "Dad I haven't thrown up in a, never mind. I won't throw up tonight." "Alright, well your aunt is coming with grandpa in an hour. So maybe we should go and get the place set up." I agreed, then he helped me downstairs. 

I saw everyone down there. It was an overwhelming sight. "Hi sweetie how are you?" "Dad you said they'd be here in an hour." "Well I had to lie a bit. I knew you would be hesitant about coming down here if you knew they were here early." "Okay true, but still could have told me. I'm doing okay Mel." "That's good to hear honey." I smiled. "Yeah I suppose. I can see you've met my son, and my brother and sister." "Marlon is adorable. He's such a happy baby. The other two have been ignoring me so I let them be." That was Dakota and Sadie for you. "Yeah they do that. Where's grandpa?" "He's in the kitchen bothering your father." I looked to dad. "Is Papa cooking?" "Yeah he's making himself some lunch." "Oh okay, um so what am I supposed to do?" "Sit down and relax darling." I sat down on the couch. Aunt Mel looked over to me. "What's that attached to your nose?" I was a bit embarrassed. "It's my feeding tube." She looked worried now. "George is she got another illness?" "Yes, she's got a disorder. It doesn't have anything to do with her cancer." "Then is it her other health issues? Like is it an eating disorder? I won't tell dad." Dad rubbed his eyes. "Yes it is an eating disorder, but please don't tell dad or Yioda. Yioda wouldn't understand, and dad he'd think we're starving his little ducky, so please keep this to yourself." She took a deep breath, then placed her hand on my shoulder. "I won't Yog, but if he asks it's your job to tell him. He worries a lot about her. Ever since last month when she was hospitalized it worries him." Dad nodded. "I know it does. It worries everyone else too. She's gonna be fine Mel. She's getting better." Mel smiled as she played with Marlon.