one

mila +

as i walk into the other room to make his latte better, a frown is upon my face. I process what he just said and stare at his latte. i would spit in it, but he would notice and that would be my last strike.

the printer that was next to the coffee machine started to print things, scaring the living shit out of me. my eyebrows raise as i look at the person who just came into the room. geez, he looks good.

"i'm sorry i had to print some documents," he says as he gives me a little grin. "wait, you're mila right?"

i nod my head smiling back at him, "yea. sorry but  do you mind me asking your name?"

"finn." he chuckles, gathering the papers from the printer. "you're caleb's assistant right?"

"yes." i mumble 

why does he get to call him caleb, yet i have to call him Mr. Mclaughlin? maybe my boss is sexist. 

"and how is that goin for you?" he asks

"it's actually the worst thing ever." i complain

"oh im sorry. also these papers are for him," finn holds out the papers to me. "do you mind giving these to him?"

i grab the large stack of papers, "no, of course not."

"goodness you're a lifesaver." he winks. "i'll see you around mila, i have to get back to work." 

i give him a wave and a smile as he walks out of the room. i set the big stack of papers next to the latte. i pour some vanilla into the latte, hoping that i don't screw it up this time. when i finish, i head back into mr.headass's large office.

"here you go sir, also i ran into finn and he told me to give you these papers." i said as i set the latte and the papers down on his desk.

his eyebrows knit together as he reads some of the papers. he puts them down and sips his cold drink. 

"thank you maya." mr.mclaughlin says to me.

maya? who's maya?

"it's mila, mr. mclaughlin" i correct him.

i mean at least he thanked me,  right?

"sure... well after i go through these papers, you can take them back down to finn." he tells me and i smile a little, excited because i get to see that adorable boy again. "until then, you can take a seat."

i shake my head and carefully take a sit in a large, leather seat across from his desk. i inspect mr.mclauglin's face as he reads over his papers. this is different. i don't usually just look at him.

"do you mind if i ask how old you are, mr. mclaughlin?" i blurt out. my eyes go wide because i didn't mean to say it that flat. 

he slowly puts down his papers and makes intense eye contact with me, "twenty-one." he replies. "why?"

"geez, you are really young." i comment. i am younger than him but he is really young for being a huge CEO.

"yes, well after my dad passed away, i had to take over his business. not like i really wanted it in the first place." he muttered as he picks up his papers again and starts to read them.

his long fingers search for a pen as he still reads the papers, and he successfully found one. i watched as he positioned the pen between his fingers and start scribbling things down. i sit there, just awkwardly watching him.

"how old are you?" he asks, catching me off guard.

"i'm twenty. wait? shouldn't you know this sir? you read through my application several times." i asked quite confused. 

he bites his bottom lip, "i read through a lot of applications, maya." 

i don't correct him this time because there is no point. i literally just told him my name not even 5 minutes ago and he can't remember so why would I tell him again? i thought he would at least remember his own personal assistant's name.

after a few moments of silence, he clicks his pen and neatly puts one paper on top of each other. he makes the stack even and then hands me it.

"here you go." he says to me and i grab the papers, his fingers brushing against mine, making me let out an inaudible gasp.

his touch gives me goosebumps and makes the hair stand up on my neck. he stands up from his cushioned seat and buttons his blazer. Caleb, now i can call him that in my head, brings his arm out towards the door. 

"ladies first of course." he says, actually speaking like a real gentleman.

"where are you going?" I raise an eyebrow. "don't you have work to do?"

his plump lips curl up into a grin, "mila i'm human and need little breaks too."

i blush of embarrassment, and look down at my clean heels. he smiles at me. maybe he is actually starting to like me. I scurry from his room and make my way to finn's tiny office.

"woa, that was pretty fast. can't stay away from me,huh? he teases with a grin on his face. i give him a sarcastic smile as i put the stack of papers on his desk.

"you're hilarious. mr. mclaughlin told me to bring these to you under command." i say.

he takes the stack of papers off of his desk and flips through them, nodding his head and humming every now and then. 

"you know, you can call him caleb around me. i won't kiss and tell." he says, his eyes still glued to the papers. 

"oh okay, well i better get going back to caleb's office." 

as i say bye, i turn around and bump into a hard, tall figure. i look up and am face to face with none other than my boss. he told me he was taking a little break. was he really spying on me doing this simple task?

he gives me a cold, hard glare. he turns to go back to his office and i quickly follow behind him. once we both are inside the room, he slams the door, signaling that he's really upset.

"you really don't get it, do you?" he says coldly, as he harshly sits down in his chair. 

he starts rubbing his temples and clenching his jaw. i knew i made him mad once i saw him do that. i start taking deep breaths, trying to calm myself down. this is it, this is where i get fired. but i really can't get fired. i have only been here for a month.

"look at me." he snaps and my eyes flicker to his.

i fix my posture and raise my head to make him think that he doesn't scare me, but i know that he knows that he scares the living hell out of me. 

"you call me mr. mclaughlin, because i am your boss." he hisses as i nod my head respectively. "it is not appropriate to flirt with my workers because that is just my rule. employees are not allowed to be in a relationship. that is unless you wanna get fired."

"oh but it was okay for you to creep up on our conversation?"

his nostrils flare as his glare hardens, " get out of my office and just go home."

"what," i say in shock. "i literally just came in for wor-"

"i don't care. go home and come back tomorrow and when you come back, you leave that attitude at the door." he glares at me and i stay silent, obeying his every command.

yall that's my first real chapter and i hope you enjoyed it! btw, caleb is not this mean. he is literally the softest, nicest, cutest human being ever.