four

mila +

the next morning, i step into caleb's office with his coffee. i walk in without looking up at him, afraid of looking at the devil himself. he probably hates me even more after i walked out on lunch and excused myself from coming back to work for the rest of the day.

"mila." he says, his voice is a lot calmer than i expected. 

i'm surprised that he actually got my name right this time. his tone confuses me too. i thought he would be angry with me, but maybe he actually feels sorry.

"here's your coffee, sir." i say, trying to avoid eye contact. 

this has become a routine. step inside his office, give him his coffee, and then argue. i take a seat, looking down at my folder and i hear him sigh.

"mila i'm talking to you. look at me." he commands.

i slowly shift my gaze up to his big brown eyes and wince when i fully meet eye contact with him. what he said to me really hurt my feelings, but he's probably just going to be rude again and say something that he's gonna regret.

"where did you run off to yesterday?" his eyebrows furrow together and i stay quiet. "where did you go mila?" he repeats after i don't answer. 

"i went home." i tell him truthfully. i could feel tears threatening to spill from my eyes at that very moment. 

"your eyes look puffy and it looks like you've been crying all night."

no shit.

"i'm fine, mr. mclaughlin." i assure him.

this is what i dreaded. him noticing my face that looked so beat up. at least he didn't notice my cheeks that were tear stained this morning. i am miserable here. 

"was it because of what i said?" he questions. it suddenly pains me to hear his voice.

a quiet sniffle escapes. oh, here we go with the waterworks. does everyone think that? that i'm just hanging by a thread. this is so embarrassing, crying in front of my boss.

before any tears run down my face, i dart out of his office and to the restroom. i really hope that no one saw me. i can hear him from outside the restroom calling my name. great, he's probably causing a scene. i never want to face him again.

he's so ignorant and cruel.

"millie, go get mila and tell her to come back." he commands with his strong voice. millie is probably the nicest and realest person to work in this building, other than finn. we don't really talk that often, seeing that i am always in caleb's office arguing with him, but i really want to be friends with her. i mean it is about time that i make some friends. i've worked here for over a month.

i hear the click of heels and i turn away from the mirror quickly. i should've just locked myself into a stall. millie approaches me carefully. 

"are you okay, mila?" she asks. "mr. mclaughlin is looking for you."

"yeah, i heard him send you in here. thank you." i say, giving her a weak smile. i grab a paper towel and dab it under my eyes. "you can go back to work if you want, i'll be okay." 

she bites the inside of her cheek, giving me the 'i'm sorry' look. she gives me a quick hug before turning and exiting the restroom. 

i get myself together before i walk back out. i wish that i could stay in the bathroom forever. hanging my head low, i walk out of the restroom. he was leaning against the wall, then stood up straight when he saw me appear.