Chapter III: Merchant

I believe that being a merchant is not for the faint of heart. You must be able to travel in any kind of weather to keep up with the changing price of goods. You must be able to evaluate the market to suit your needs, but most of all, you have to be a smooth talker to persuade customers to buy your products. 

As I was approaching the gate to leave the town of Trost, a guard asks for my identification card. I quickly reach into my back pocket and pull it out. Inscribed on the card was a picture of a stout and handsome man sporting a luxurious mustache along with a name; Isaac Pennington. Identification cards were given in capitals under the Roland Empire; it proved you were a member of society and it had many uses such as letting you traverse through the villages, towns, and cities along the capitals without any fees. 

I had recently gotten a good trade deal in Trost and was able to leave with an abundant amount of quality goods. If my journey goes without a hindrance, then I'm looking at a few hundred gold coins worth of profit.

Trost was a town that specialized in making cotton. It was close to a plains area so their production comes mostly from agriculture, mainly cotton. Since cotton was such a desired good, normal traveling merchants would come around in the springtime to trade foods and weapons for cotton so they can sell it at a higher price in capitals and cities during the summer. It also helped that Trost was located far away from any capital, making it much harder for them to plan their trips.

I, however, was not a normal traveling merchant. I was the son of Newton Pennington, owner of Pennington Trading Company, and the successor to my fathers will. If there's a good around the world, you can make sure that our company will strive to have it. 

The guard quickly checks my identification card and moves to inspect my wagons. After circling around and checking my goods which contained spices, salts, wine and an assortment of other items. He signals to another guard which directs his hands towards the gate, allowing me to pass.

"Thanks for your company." The guard says to me, giving a slight nod.

"Yours as well," I reply, returning his gesture.

I exited the gate and started planning my next move. Since I had received an abundance of goods, I don't have to worry about feeding my horses anytime soon. 

If I can get to the town of Osmouth within the next two days, I can get a good nights rest and start traversing back to the capital of Manicori, where I plan on selling all of my trade goods.

I'm currently spending my days as a traveling merchant. There are several types of merchants, and my father insisted that I became a wholesale merchant which assisted in the trading from producer to retail merchants but I couldn't stand staying in one place working all day, so I thought it best to be a traveling merchant to meet new people and enjoy the air. 

Usually, the morning is the best time for a traveling merchant to arrive at a town. The morning sun usually attracts a lot of customers in the market since they buy all their goods early so they can use them for the rest of the day. 

A good merchant learns to plan his schedule a few days ahead and account for roadblocks in between. My optimal schedule is staying three days in a town and then departing. Usually, three days is the perfect time to stay in a certain location for traveling merchant. 

The first day to sell your collected goods, the second to collect more goods, and the third to do whatever you need to do to prepare for your departure.

Since I planned out my departure, hopefully, I can get to Osmouth within the allotted time frame.

I pulled out my map and started plotting a course. If I follow the gravel road, there should be a river halfway between the town. I can set up a camp nearby and have my horses rest for the night giving me time to sort out my goods.