Ch. 22

* so this is possible the second to last chapter or possibly the last  chapter.*

It was  was a little later  than mid day when we reached the outskirts of town. I was walking at this point keeping up the  appearance of me being another recrute for the king. I  prospect I detest greatly. As I walked tears threatened my eyes. I remember what this place looked like when we left. This was always the poorer  side but not this poor. These people were so bad it broke my heart and then it made me angry. No one should have to live like this. The deeper we went the angrier I got even the rich lived as the poor folk. You can't tell who is upper class and who is not. Everything began to blend together. Suddenly we all came to a stop. 

I looked at Will who held a blank face but deep within his eyes I could see his sorrow. "We have to walk from here. It's execution day and not even the kings son is aloud to ride through the square on such a day." "At least one tradition was kept." I muttered  " I'm sorry Aurora this is a shock to you." "You have no idea." "I also need to warn you we have to go right through the square. You will see who is getting exicuted and no one should see that." "I  understand." I took a gulp of air and swallowed my emotions. I was staring at buildings that were once grand and full of life now looked like shacks broken and forgotten. All happiness was washed right out replaced by a sadness that was now also deep within my heart.

We finally reached the edge of the square. It also lost it's grand stature it used to have. I could see the execution stand off to the right. I had lazely scan the prisoners when one cought my eye. I my eyes snapped to his. My heart stopped along with my body. My blood drained from my face. I was frozen with doupt as I staired at a ghost. "Aurora come on he's just a prisoner." Will whispered but he wasn't just a prisoner. He was my everything. He was something I lost and would never see again. I finally found my voice "Will...william that's my father." I whispered as my eyes snapped to his. "I thought he died?" "You and me both? We have to save him!" "And how on earth do you expect to do that?" "By doing the only thing I know how to do, being rash." I turned to Will's men "go back to the steeds and get out of the city. If I know my father that is where he has been all along. We will catch up." They all turned and left for the mounts. "What are you going to do?" Will asked frantic. " I am going to save my father, William." I pushed my way to the front of the crowd. "How do you plan on doing that." "By shifting at just the right moment. I jump up and intercept the striking blow hand my father off to you and shift creating a distraction. And then throw my father on my back and you fallow by jumping on and we fly out of here." "Just like short sweet and to the point. And if things go south?" "You can shift and help either way we are both dying or escaping." I said as I looked him straight in the face. He answered me with a quick but meaningful kiss that I returned. I turned back to the stage. They were leading my father to the podium were they put them on there knees and a axe man chips their heads off. Quick and clean, they feel nothing. My father was fixing to receive the same fate if we don't act. The axe man had picked up the axe. He heft it over his head and tensed to strike at that second. I lept to the stage in all my firey glory and shattered the axe with a single blow.

The crowed had went silent from my sudden burst of movement. But then they all cheered in exicitment and the possible meaning of salvation. The guard re-composed his self. "What is the meaning of this!" He shouted William was by my side in an instant "This is just the beginning... You can inform my father that I am no longer his pawn and his days of ruleing are coming to an end!" William answered in a cool collective voice as if he didn't just vomit high treason. The crowed erupted with more cheeres of joy. " seize them!" He shouted in anger. At that exact moment a bright fire ball hit the in coming guards giving the seconds I needed to shift. Gladerial came to the for front of my mind and we shifted instantly. We let out a roar of defiance. She unleashed a purple jet of hot flame that consumed the wooden plat form. Will and father lept on   my back and in one great motion we were launched into the sky. We rose high above the town archers  were already on the roof foreign volley after volley into the sky at my retreating figure. I rolled and banked left and right dogeing the arrows.  A roar erupted out of my massive jaws as a single arrow embedded it's self in the bone of my wing. I could feel Will frantically trying to reach my mind. "what happened?" "A rogue arrow is lodged in my wing I will be fine." I answered as I pushed us faster and faster away from the castle. I glanced down to see a small group of travelers running as if their life depended on it. I swooped down closer to see it was our guards. I entered Poppy's mind he instantly grew ridget with my sudden touch, but relaxed as he found out it was me. I gave him directions of were they can meet us. They would reach us by night fall. I  rose and push forward. The arrow was not fatal bit fam it shure was hurting.

We reached the clearing with the waterfall with in a half hour. My body was exhusted from the speed at which I was pushing myself. I landed roughly my muscles given out even Gladerial had grown quite with concentration on the task at hand.  I was panting franticaly as William and father slid from my back. Will rushed to my side and found the arrow. "Hold still this is going  to hurt." I nodded and I felt the arrow realize my flash as will ripped it from the bone. I suppressed the ground shuddering roar that wanted to  escape into a single hiss. Once the arrow was out I shifted back to my human form.

My knees began to buckle and William cought me. He swung me up bridal style. I gripped  onto his chest as if my life depended on it.  As he carried me to the willow tree. I could faintly here him whispering in my ear. I was already fading before he reached the tree the events of the day and the past two months had finally cought up with me. My brain was over loading and it did the only thing  it could do was shut down, but I new we were safe for now, and Will would do anything to keep us safe.

*this is the end of book one. There will be a second I just don't know when. But I do have a lot of editing that I have to go back and do. That and I have another book that I need to finish."