Chapter 4

A bell chimed in the tone of A for .7 secon at 64 decibels.  My eyes shot open with a painful headache as I woke inside an unfamiliar room.  Sitting up, I felt a tug at the back of my neck, and turned around to find a black cable snaking into the wall.  HEX# 000000 RGB 0-0-0.  I followed it up to the back of my neck, feeling the base tenderly.  The cable was attached to my neck, and I gingerly pulled the head of the cable out.  A pain lingered as I brought the cable forward into view.  USB A-Type.  I placed the cable down next to me delicately.

“Good morning, and welcome to Purgatory Facility 3.”  Female voice, Chinese-American simulation through virtual programming, age range 30 to 35, slight hitch in vowels suggest programming error.  I shook my head and looked about the room for the origin of the voice.  Room is 110 square feet, walls HEX# ffffff RGB 255-255-255.  A panel to the left begun to simulate blinds opening, and then simulated sunlight illuminating the room.  1,980 lumens.  My eyes turned away from the stinging light.

“Your personal quarters are designed to fit your everyday needs,” the voice continued.  The wall in front of me hummed at 30 decibels to reveal a hidden compartment.  A light turned on in the secret room.  12 square feet, lighting at 90 lumens.  My head was pounding, and I placed my hands delicately on my head with a wince.  My fingers brushed through my hair slowly in shock as I felt the short strands bristle against my palms.  56, 104, 162, 189.  I lifted my hands away and the numbers stopped.

“Here at Purgatory, your well-being is greatly valued,” the voice chimed through my thoughts.  “As you recover from your surgery, we ask that you refrain from touching your head.”  Surgery?  My hands immediately went back to my head, my fingers searching through the hair.  78, 125, 151, 196, inflammation, 274, proliferation, 322, maturation, 408, curved incision horizontally from each ear, 435, suture count 28.  I began to panic.  Heart rate 143 beats per minute.

“What did you do to me?” I asked, assuming someone would be listening.  Buzzer in the tone of B flat, first interval at .1 second, next interval at .2 second.  68 decibels.

“We’re sorry,” the voice apologized.  “All personal inquiries can be made at the introductory seminar held in the auditorium.  The seminar will begin in one hour and two minutes.  Would you like to head there now or go to the cafeteria?”

I shook my head slightly from side to side, closing my eyes from the room around me.  I couldn’t allow myself to believe it was happening.  Buzz tone in B flat, .1 second first iteration, .2 second next iteration, 68 decibels.

“We’re sorry,” the voice said through my silence, “we did not hear your response.  Would you like your destination to be the auditorium or the cafeteria?”

“Auditorium,” I responded as I sat up in my bed.  Sheets 600 thread count, HEX# ffffff RGB 255-255-255.  A yellow light illuminated on the smooth floor.  HEX# ffff00 RGB 255-255-0.

“When you are ready, please follow the yellow line provided,” the voice explained.  I stood weakly, my bare feet following the line to what was possibly the door.  Buzzer in B flat with two intervals at .1 and .2 second.  68 decibels.  “Please adorn your footwear before exiting your personal quarters.”

I looked downward next to the door.  A pair of white slip on shoes, HEX# ffffff RGB 255-255-255, US women’s size 7.5 inches, sat side by side and pressed up against the wall uniformly.  I slid my feet into the shoes one by one using the wall to maintain balance.  A bell chimed in the tone of A for .3 second at 60 decibels, and the door slid open to the side.  Door hiss at 30 decibels.

Following the yellow light, I tried my best to ignore all others that I would pass.  Shoe size US men’s 9 inches, gate 3 feet 1.35 inch, height estimated 6 feet .28 inches.  Occasionally the yellow line would match up to another doorway.  Floor HEX# ffffff RGB 255-255-255.  I wanted the numbers out of my head, but they would not leave.  154 steps from my room, one right turn.  155, 156, 157, weight held at the balls of my feet, pressure away from arches.