Chapter 24

As much as I hated crowds, I think I hated yelling more.  We make such ugly faces when we yell, and the emotion behind the voice was only distinguishable by the amount of guttural grit used, or lack thereof.  Faces redden and mouths extend like the gnashing jaws of some frothing beast as their voices bellow over the calm quiet of the rest of the world.

The confrontation with Midvar began as a civil affair with a calm and professional atmosphere.  It only escalated when Midvar began to subject Cole’s role into the affair as “bias and lacking the judgment of a true former squad leader.”  People began to avoid the hallway where we stood due to their disturbing amount of shouting, and I began to wonder if it would ever turn into an actual brawl.  If it came to a fight, Cole definitely would not win.

“Can we just please debate this somewhere else, Midvar?” Cole asked in aggravation.  He gripped his pen tightly within his hand, and I figured he wanted to give the guardian a more detailed assessment of the situation in a more private setting.

“You are not the least bit concerned that you have produced one of the worst observers I’ve ever seen?” Midvar questioned as he motioned towards me.

“I’m here, you know,” I pointed out, but the two ignored me still.

“She is not as terrible as you make her sound!” Cole said in my defense.  “But that’s beside the point!  Look at her arms, Koen!”

Koen briefly looked at my arms where the new ports were inset into my skin, his eyes held a look of boredom as he looked back at Cole.  “And?”

“That’s what they did to her!  I took her to the medical ward and they shut me off.”

Something about Cole’s choice in words with his last sentence peaked Midvar’s interest, and concern pushed his brows together slightly.  “Come, let us speak more calmly in private,” Midvar offered as he pointed towards the stairwell.  Cole led us to a large room set up like an outdoor park.  We walked along the stone walkway that led to several fountains, and the atmosphere was soothing.  It was a rather lovely room with a moderate temperature like spring, and beds of purple flowers bloomed around the paths.

“You must forgive me,” Midvar began.  “I doubted your concern was genuine because I felt you still held a grudge against me.”

“You know I forgave you for that,” Cole responded, and I trailed behind the two to give them space.

“I know, and I see you are looking for her best interest,” Midvar said.  “But why the concern over an assessment?  You know as well as I do that it is one of the best experiences for us.”

“Sure, for us,” Cole said in reply, “but for Helena it’s different.”  Cole looked away, and we continued to walk as his pen beeped.  Midvar made no curious motion and remained stoic.

“So what really troubles you?” Midvar asked, and I deduced he knew of Cole’s device.

“They’re planning something big with Helena,” Cole said softly.  “They don’t want interference from anyone, and not even I was allowed to go into an assessment.”

“That goes against regulation,” Midvar stated, and Cole nodded his head in agreement slightly.

“They don’t tell her what they are doing, which also goes against regulation.  Those are new implants, and they’re required to tell her what they are, but they’re not.  Things are changing here.  I’ve got one of my former eidolons doing some added research.”

“That’s risky, and you shouldn’t be putting that kid in that position.”

Cole shrugged somewhat in response and the device beeped once.  “He’s as good as Thea was.  And his guardian is informed.”